Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kinaray-a
- See also the second request (verified as eligible).
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia Kinaray-a)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
- Relevant infos: Kinaray-a is second most-spoken language in Panay Island in the Philippines. Long considered to be variant of Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a linguists are fighting to establish its own right to be called a langauge. It is distinct in many ways from Hiligaynon. It is the official language of the Province of Antique (Antike/Hantike), it is spoken by 70% of Iloilo Province's population and 75% of Capiz Province's population. There are also large numbers of Kinaray-a speakers on the islands of Mindoro, Palawan, Romblon, Masbate and Metro Manila.
- Approximate number of speakers: 1,600,000
- Location(s) spoken: Antique, Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan, Romblon, Mindoro Occidental, Palawan, Masbate Provinces in the Philippines and Manila
- Closely related languages, if any: belongs to the Western branch of the Visayan language family, along with Cuyonon, Caluyanon, Onhan, Akeanon, and Ratagnon. Related to other Visayan languages such as Hiligaynon, Cebuano, and Waray-Waray. Distantly related to other Austronesian languages such as Tagalog, Indonesian, etc.
- External links to organizations that promote the language: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iririmawtatun A Yahoo group for people from Antique province where Kinaray-a is the native language.
- Link to request on a mailing list:
- Link to Test-wikipedia: incubator:Test-WP/krj
- Support--Harvzsf 22:40, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Juan bahag 00:32, 8 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support It's one of the 13 major Philippine languages plus there seems to be a big Kinaray-a presence on the internet. --Christopher Sundita 02:26, 8 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Node ue 10:22, 8 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Bentong Isles 13:03, 5 September 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Katimawan2005 03:15, 4 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Joanot 13:49, 5 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Nino Gonzales 13:20, 7 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Saluyot 10:12, 9 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Belgian man 18:16, 10 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support Raetius 13:27, 15 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Chamdarae 16:58, 17 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Taichi - (^_^) 10:01, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
- Support --Jondel 05:56, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
- Strong OPPOSE -- it is wrong to propose to squat the language code of another language