Requests for new languages/Wikipedia IPA English
IPA English WikipediaEdit
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia IPA English)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
- Relevant info: Translation of English wiki to IPA characters. Other languages could follow.
- App. number of speakers: linguists, linguistics students
- Location(s) spoken: anywhere
- Closely related languages, if any: w:English language
- There is a simplified English wiki (here), so why not a phonetic English wiki?
- Support, this would be a huge mess but totally sweet. Ashibaka 04:21, 2 March 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose. Everyone speaks English with a different accent, so the IPA representation would be different for each contributor. We'd end up with articles changing accents midstream. This will lead to no end of confusion. —Psychonaut 01:07, 5 April 2006 (UTC)
- Opose - brings no knowledge. Michał P. 20:20, 15 April 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose; As Psychonaut said, phonetic English is impossible due to radically different accents. 126.96.36.199 21:16, 15 April 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose. Not keen on this, for the same reasons I'm not keen on any rehashed English. Dialects of English are suitable because they are used as media of communication between people, but not this, because it isn't. Keeno 14:06, 16 April 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose Useless. Arbeo 21:17, 22 April 2006 (UTC)
- STRONG Oppose Useless and impossible (how many accents ARE there??) Bryan 188.8.131.52 17:59, 24 April 2006 (UTC)