Requests for comment/The meatpuppeting attack on LMO wikipedia - Origin (source) of the meatpuppets
It's a couple of month that I'm analyzing a case of meatpuppeting attack. I know that the word "meatpuppet" should be used with great care (), so the word "meatpuppet" will be used according the main definition given in the page ():
Editors of the online encyclopedia Wikipedia use "meat puppet" to deprecate contributions from a new community member if the new member was (allegedly) recruited by an existing member only to back up the recruiting member's position.
I also know that personal attacks must be avoided (). In this analysis there is some nickname, but only because those nicknames were involved in the meatpuppeting attack, as demonstrated by the logs.
On the LMO wikipedia, in the days 2-4-5-6 december 2007, a lot of people accessed for the first time the LMO wiki, immediately or after few minutes voted 5 new administrators  and then disappeared. According to the cited definition, these voters should be considered meatpuppets. The 5 admins "elected" in that way were: Fabexplosive, Snowdog, Barbapedana, DracoRoboter and Remulazz: according to the cited definition, they should be considered (allegedly) recruiters (=meatpuppeters). The detailed analysis of the attack is above .
It's difficult to find were the meatpuppeting attack was organized, but perhaps the cultural environment origin (source) of the meatpuppeting attack can be found. Let we analyze the following evidences:
- the meatpuppets (as definition) DracoRoboter (as Draco), Xaura, Ilario, Marcok, Paginazero, Nemo, Fabexplosive, kiado and M7 (as M/) took part to the organization of the 2008 Annual Meeting of the Italian Wikimedia Association (WMI), as we can see . In the page there are also Nick1915, but see later;
- the meatpuppet (as definition) Nemo (first edit on LMO 17:14, 4 dic 2007, voted after 38 minutes for 3 admins ) is one of the 5 people in the Board of the Italian Wikimedia Association, as we can see ;
- a steward (Nick1915) backed up metpuppets and meatpuppeters for a longtime, till in the RFC  was explicitly requested to stop to backup the attackers and to follow better the Steward_policies, where it says "Stewards should always be neutral";
- the meatpuppet (as definition) Remulazz is an active member of the Italian Wikimedia Association, as we can see ;
- the (allegedly) recruiter Snowdog has been vice president of the Italian Wikimedia Association .
And so on ... but it could be enough for now.
Yattagat 21:27, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
The case study above has been published in the Meta-Forum. Continuing to analize the case, it's possible to find other evidences:
6. another member of Italian Wikimedia Association (and steward), (Paginazero) was heavly involved in the attack (maybe naivly): he voted for 3 admins (: only 4 edits in total and then disappeared. Here we can see Paginazero receiving a premium for the Italian Wikimedia Association .
Yattagat 21:52, 12 December 2008 (UTC)