Requests for comment/Global policy against vanishing while still condemning anyone
This is a subpage; for more information, see the Requests for comments page.
I would like to propose amending the right to vanish to globally ban vanishing while still condemning anyone else, whether other wiki users or not. Jimbo Wales already said om 2006 that "libelling people on userpages is a bad idea, and in fact, using userpages to attack people or campaign for or against anything or anyone is a bad idea." Thus those vowing on their userpages to "vanish" while still condemning or criticizing anyone else are too dishonest by putting condemned or criticized users in major disadvantages defending themselves.
Here is my proposed global policy:
- To condemn or criticize anyone else requires reasonable efforts to solve the issue rather than to vanish.
- Only those who absolutely do not return may vanish. Thus vanishing users cannot use the userpages to condemn nor criticize anyone else for any reasons.
- Immediate and temporary injunctions: Any users have the right to tag the userpages with false vanishing for speedy deletion, and any administrators have the right to directly delete or hide inappropriate contents, without regard to the conflict of interest.
- This kind of speedy deletion shall also apply to the userpages vowing to vanish but already condemning or criticizing users for any reasons before effectuating this plan, since the false vanishing has been consecutive and continuous.
- Support with exception: if the process takes an excessive amount of time, it could be skipped. – Ilovemydoodle (talk) 18:52, 7 August 2022 (UTC)
- This is the translation from w:zh:Template:假隱退:
- This userpage self-describes vanishing, but it still publicly criticizes and condemns anyone and anything else on wiki, without trying to resolve it. Thus it may be suspected of fake vanishing, making the criticized and condemned parties in a clearly unfair disadvantage trying to answer and defend themselves. The public interest would not be improved, so the wmf:Terms_of_Use/en#4._Refraining_from_Certain_Activities banning harassing and abusing others may be violated. Thus this page is temporarily hidden and may be requested for oversight.
- To the involved user: Please explain why vanish and still publicly criticize and condemn anyone and anything else on wiki. Not explaining may be suspected of the policy against libel and the guideline on what cannot be out in the userpage.--Jusjih (talk) 22:08, 12 October 2020 (UTC)
- With no reply here, I am asking at Stewards/Elections_2021/Questions#To oversight false vanishing, answered by one candidate.--Jusjih (talk) 03:40, 17 January 2021 (UTC)
- c:Commons:Universal Code of Conduct consultation#Policy against vanishing while still condemning anyone got a reply.--Jusjih (talk) 22:16, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support With a strong caution, potentially we need OC members to make sure that these rules are fairly running instead of someone's bedroom for spamming. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:49, 2 June 2022 (UTC)
- @SCP-2000: I disagree. – Ilovemydoodle (talk) 08:14, 30 August 2022 (UTC)
- Me too, @SCP-2000: I suggest you to refrain from premature closing this RFC because it affects UCoC modifications, rather I would say that this RFC should better be decided by WMF Board of Trustees members. Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 02:37, 11 September 2022 (UTC)
- @SCP-2000: Meta:Requests for deletion#User:Kisnaak is the live case why false vanishing is bad for accused parties, bad for the community, thus bad for everyone. In addition to two supports plus me, see also Stewards/Elections_2021/Questions#To_oversight_false_vanishing answered by several candidates to be stewards and c:Commons:Universal Code of Conduct consultation#Policy against vanishing while still condemning anyone that would add the values to this Rfc.--Jusjih (talk) 00:19, 13 September 2022 (UTC)