The following request for comments
is closed. The request was eventually archived as inactive.
We need to put a lot more thought into where each of these items will/should end up, so that we avoid creating a real mess. We currently have three big global Wikimedia projects (Meta-Wiki, Commons, Wikidata). There are proposals for creating new wikis, but this really ought to be avoided, if possible.
- Currently we have
Other MW wikis templates are either written from scratch or XML exported from Wikipedia.
- Similar scripts and templates are developed on more than one project leading to branching and inconsistencies.
- Non-WMF wiki administrators are having to write and debug templates. This is an extra level in difficulty from just install MW, configure slightly and then add extensions.
- Small or new wikis frequently don't have templates because they don't know it's a feature or because these are difficult to implement and maintain.
- Wikipedia specific features and the logo are frequently included in non-WMF wikis.
- After upgrading MW to most recent stable version, following with templates and other bits and pieces is not a trivial task to get neat and tidy results.
How to implement?Edit
- What would this central repository need to work smoothly?
- Where would this central repository be held?
- Are these interwiki transcluded or installed like extensions and updated in sync with MW releases.
- With interwiki transclusion (bug 9890) there ought to also be a way to avoid name clashes.
- How to make selectable which templates, bits & pieces to include and handle interdependencies.
- The wiki calling a template might not want or require all the available permutations, enhancements or intricate feature richness.
- Localisation of each template or module in many languages. Each debug needs to do the same in all languages.
Proposed a new projectEdit
Global bits and pieces