Wikimedia RU Activities Report 2014
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.
Non-Commercial Partnership of promotion of distribution of encyclopedic knowledge Wikimedia RU is a legally independent Russian Non-Governmental organization. Wikimedia RU is the part of the international Wikimedia Movement, all the participant of which share mission of collection, creation, management and dissemination of freely-accessible knowledge. Therefore, most activities of Wikimedia RU are related to the Wikipedia Internet Encyclopedia, the Wikipedia Movement's most important achievement up to date.
So, the Wikimedia RU activies may be divided in five parts:
- Internal Events and contests in order to help the volunteers and to motivate them.
- External activities including outreach and contacts with officials and right holders in order to changes Russian legislation and regulations, to pesuade the right holders to agree the changes and release their works under free license.
- Exchange of experience and best practices with other parts of the Wikimedia Movement.
- Fundraising and sposorship seeking.
Wikimedia RU organized several contests with prizes in cooperation with other organizations, to motivate the authors.
- 2014-04-10 .. 11-30 Gallery of Glory of all Russian-speaking people on Earth.
- 2014-05-13 .. 07-01 “What volunteers know about emergencies” articles contest.
- 2014-06-12 .. 07-24 The Football Marathon contest.
- 2014-11-01 .. 2014-04-01 “10 years to Baskir Wikipedia” contest as a part of Wiki-Sabantuy 2015.
Conferences, Parties, CeremoniesEdit
Wikimedia RU organized several events in order to motivate the authors and to popularize Wikipedia and the free content in general.
- 2014-02-10 The Gallery of Glory Awarding Ceremony at Ushinkiy State Pedagogical Library, Moscow.
- 2014-08-20 The Football Marathon Awarding at StirBeerLitz, Moscow.
- 2014-09-13 .. 14 Wiki-Conference 2014 and The “Free Knoledge” Award at Plekhanov Russian Economic University.
- 2014-09-14 “The Night of free licenses” concert.
- 2014-11-25 The “What volunteers know about emergencies” articles contest Awarding Ceremony and Don Gusto, Moscow.
There are several Wiki-Voice and Wiki-Music projects with several organizations, that provide free audio material for Wikimedia Commons. Also this year we started Russian part of the Wikimedia in Residence project, when the third party pays for some work useful for Wikipedia.
- 2014-05-28 .. 2017-12-31 Project on making photos of Pereslavl reserve museum.
- 2014-03-19 The agreement with Russian State Archive of Phonographic Documents concerning Wiki-Voices and Wiki-Music is signed.
- 2014-06-09 The agreement with the Moscow State University Scientific Library, Oral History project, concerning Wiki-Voices signed.
- Wiki-Voices with “Staroye Radio” (Old Radio).
- 2014-05-13 Wikimedia in Residence, Business Journal, First participant; the Ceremony at Moscow House, Moscow.
- 2014-09-23 Wikimedia in Residence, Moscow State University Scientific Library, Oral History project, Second participant.
- 2014-10-01 .. 11-01 Russian part of the international Wiki Loves Monuments contest.
Legal issues, Laws, Regulations, Litigations, GREdit
This year the work that was started in 2009 finally came into effect, and free licenses and freedom of panorama are introduced in Russian Civil Law; during this 5-year work we colletected a lot of contacts that are used in further activities.
- 2014-01-31, 2014-02-11, 2014-08-20, 2014-12-15, 2014-12-31 Communicating Roscomnadzor concerting inclusion of Wikipedia's articles into the list of restricted sites.
- 2014-03-06 Defending at Litigation in Khabarovsk agains Yandex and Wikimedia.
- 2014-04-21 “The free content as a factor of innovative development” report at Special Council for Human Rights Meeting “Human rights in the context of legislative regulation in Internet in Russia” , Administration of President of Russia, Moscow.
- 2014-05-07 “187FZ Law possible issues, Copyrith on Soviet works, Museum Law problems” report at Meeting on protection of copyright in Internet with several ministers, The Russian Govenment, Moscow.
- 2014-06-24 “Commons data license, ODBL, Creative Comons. Pro et contra.” report at meeting of the expert group on open data at Russian Open Government, Moscow.
- “Public Domain” project in cooperation with RAEC and Russian Ministry of Communications (in progress).
- 2014-10-01 The open licenses and the freedom of panorama came into effect in Russia.
- 2014-10-16 “Open data” report at meeting of the open data council at Russian Open Government, Moscow.
- 2014-11-19 “Antipirate law and its side effects” discussion at meeting with the Russian Internet Ombudsman.
Participation in Conferences, Seminars, Round TablesEdit
Wikimedia RU participated a lot of events in order to promote Wikimedia Movement values and to ecourage others to participate Wikimedia projects.
- 2014-01-17 “Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Movement” at round table “Effective management in the economy of knowledge: opportunities for public participation”, Russian academy of the national economy, Moscow.
- 2014-03-18 “Open Knowledge Foundation and the Free Knowledge in Russia” at the OKF seminar, Ushinkiy State Pedagogical Library, Moscow.
- 2014-03-21 “Orphan works, possible solutions, pro et contra” at “Orphan works: right or without right?” round table, Biblio-Globus, Moscow.
- 2014-04-11 “Free Licenses: Perspective Regulation of common creative work” talk at annual scienific and practic “Right and Information: issues of theory and practice” conference, The Presidential Library, St. Petersburg.
- 2014-04-18 “The contradictions between article 36 of the “On museum foundations” law and public domain” talk at practic “New opportunies for business in the sphere of intellectual property: the amendments to the Civil Law accepted”, Chamber of Commerce and industry, Moscow.
- 2014-04-21 “The free content as a factor of innovative development” report at Expopriority 2014, Expocentre, Moscow.
- 2014-04-23 “History of the law on blocks in Internet” talk at RIF+KIB 2014 conference, Moscow region.
- 2014-04-29 “TOR and sites blocking in Russia” at “Access to information in context of Internet censorsip”, Sakharov Centre, Moscow.
- 2014-05-23 “Amendments in the Civil Code, part 4; 187 FZ law” report at “Copyght in the digital era. Legislation and practice.” round table, The Presidential Library, St. Petersburg.
- 2014-07-26 “Conflicts and their resolution in the crowdsourcing: the Wikipedia's experience” talk and master class at “CrowdLab” hackaton, Moscow.
- 2014-08-02 “Wikipedia and Cryptography” talk at CryptoInstallFest, Sakharov Centre, Moscow.
- 2014-09-22 “Changes in the Civil Law since 2014-10-01. Details of regulation of the free content” talk at “Legal protection of the intellectual property regards changes in part 4 of the Russian Civil Law” seminar, Ushinkiy State Pedagogical Library, Moscow.
- 2014-09-26 “The Wikipedia's driving forces: why do the people do it and will they do it for you” talk at the XIV international communications forum “Baltic Weekend”, St. Petersburg.
- 2014-10-02 “On Wikipedia” talk at “Business Youth” seminar, Moscow.
- 2014-11-25 Short talk about Wikipedia's most important things at the Runet Award ceremony, Moscow.
Participation in Wikimedia Movement eventsEdit
Wikimedia RU excahnge experience with other Wikimedia Movements entities and provides travel grants to the community members.
- 2014-04-10 .. 13 Wikimedia Chapters Meeting, Berlin, Germany.
- 2014-05-09 .. 11 Konferencja Wikimedia Polska, Poznan, Poland (Talks about amendments in the copyright laws, Russian community experince).
- 2014-07-26 .. 27 Ukranian WikiConference, Kiev, Ukraine (discussions about conflicts in the community, about freedom of panorama).
- 2014-08-06 .. 10 Wikimania 2014, London, UK.
- 2014-12-19 .. 21 Wikimedia CEE Meeting, Kiev, Ukraine (Freedom of panorama talk).