Report/Strategy Engagement and Support/Punjabi Language and Indic Education Group
Punjabi Wikimedians participated in Movement Charter ongoing discussions. The aim was to understand this activity which was foussing on movement strategy. It includes one online and one offline event and by the end of those events, community gave feedback for the three chapters of Movement Charter Draft through ambassadors Gaurav Jhammat and FromPunjab.
- Online Meetup with community: 18 December, 2022
- Online Meetup with Indic Education group: 28 December, 2022
- Offline Meetup with community: 1st January 2023
- Documentation and Report Writing: 1 & 2 January, 2023
Translated Pages for community understanding edit
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Movement+Charter%2FDrafting+Committee&action=page&filter=&language=pa (Partially)
During the discussion in the community regarding the Movement Charter, we became aware of several new issues that were both natural and necessary. Communities and wiki groups around the world are not the same. They differ in size, capacity, number of users, readers, projects and resources, etc. In this case, being a regional group, we faced some problems while trying to reach them the movement charter, which we are mentioning below:
- Being ambassadors, we were at some point unclear as to what would be the future contribution or importance of the Movement Charter to the wiki movement, despite having certainly attended various meetings. For example, we, Punjabi Wikimedians as a group have been together for a long time and in this journey, we have come up with some of our own rules called bylaws. Thus, each regional group may have its own bylaws or some rules but is it possible that in the future the existence of a movement charter will negate the existence of those rules? It was a whole community concern. So, we are looking forward to it.
- There was also a similar point that the community is aware of the importance of the Movement Charter but does not understand what is the purpose of giving feedback only on the draft. Instead, when it was explained to them verbally, it was more appropriate for them and they also responded well to the feedback. From this, we realized that the community is working on various wiki projects on its own but there is a knowledge gap towards Wiki Foundation, Movement Charter, and other such organizations and processes which needs some concrete support. Need to overcome step by step.
- It also follows from this that for future discussions of the movement charter some representatives should be selected in the community (who are also interested in it) so that only they are discussed each time and only their decisions and feedback are taken. Community feedback should be taken into account.
- One reason for this argument was that some of the users are brand new to the community or some of those who are old are contributing to the site to the best of their ability, but they have difficulty in reading and understanding the documentation. We have mentioned this in detail on the Feedback page.
- Time constraints were a major issue as we could not spend enough time translating it to make it simple enough that even new users in the community could understand it without assistance.
- It was also a problem for us to have some difficult words while translating we were also thinking about how to make the community understand easily. The lack of definitions or footnotes for those words was also a challenge for us.
An in-person meeting was held in Sangrur, Punjab with the motto to discuss Movement Charter Chapters and collect feedback from Punjabi Community
Find detailed feedback here.