The following discussion is closed.
I propose that the Pitkern and Norfuk Island Wikipedia be closed and transferred to the incubator.
- It has 310 articles, most of which are stubs.
- One or two users have posted in the last 30 days, but most edits are being done by stewards for vandal reversion or global CSS additions.
- Of the articles that exist, I would consider it debateable if all of the articles were actually in the language of the site. It's been so long since an admin with language knowledge has checked the site, it would surprise me if they were all genuine.
- It has one administrator, Pall Mall, who hasn't edited the site now for almost 3 months (last edit, 10th April 2010).
- I consider this project to be leaning towards death, request is made for consideration to shut.
BarkingFish 10:52, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
- It doesn't seem to be maintained in any way. Vandalism is persisting. --თოგო (D) 12:15, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
- This wiki is not cared for, and articles aren't necessarily in the language of the site. They could be gobbledegook for all we know. As nominator, my vote is to close. BarkingFish 09:03, 10 July 2010 (UTC)
- Support per Barking Fish, although I still think this Wikipedia could be advertised or something to gain users, as I'm doing with Aymara. Diego Grez return fire 22:36, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose There is a lot of content and there ís activity. (f.e. ). --OosWesThoesBes 05:13, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- Comment (as nom) - Respectfully, OosWesthoesbes, that edit is by someone who has no knowledge of the language, and could in itself be classified as vandalism. It is also the user's only contribution to the site. What Thogo posted above is right, trust me. As for "there is a lot of content", yes, that's true - > 90% of it however, is stubs which aren't getting expanded. BarkingFish 08:47, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- Contents = contents, even if there are stubs. What benefit would closure give over letting it open? It seems like people are desperate to keep closing wikis (originally this was a useful page for closing <100-pages wikis) --OosWesThoesBes 08:41, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose Just let it develop on it's own. Maybe we need to wait. Kanzler31 15:34, 8 July 2010 (UTC-08)
- Comment - It's been open over 5 years now, Kanzler31. How much longer do you suggest we wait? Another year, 2, maybe 5? Or until the Heat death of the universe??? BarkingFish 03:00, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
Oppose per Kanzler31. Diego Grez return fire 01:43, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose, I'd be in favour if the project had never been active, but it has been in the past and there is no reason to believe it never will be again in the future. As disclosure, I have occasionally reverted vandalism myself there but would not consider myself a "contributor". 18.104.22.168 09:18, 24 July 2010 (UTC).
- Oppose- Sure there hasn't been very much activity recently, but as per above and Hellsepp, I believe that it is premature to consider closing the project due simply to a hiatus in activity levels. Regarding content, unfortunately a majority of articles do lack meaningful detail as yet. I would maintain however that most of the content IS actually in Norfuk, albeit not always high quality, just as the English wikipedia is not always in perfect English. Consider also that perhaps the main cause for variations in content spelling and grammar is that Norfuk/Pitkern is primarily a spoken rather than a standardised written language. Scottius11 15:12, 24 July 2010 (UTC)
- Comment The only different between this and the English wikipedia is that there are a shedload more people out there who actually speak English and can correct the mistakes and the low quality, I contend that with the Pitkern and Norfuk languages, that is a debateable issue. BarkingFish 01:37, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- Contra this project has a largely translated UI, some useful articles, etc. I propose waiting at least until the heat death of the Universe for new contributors. --Node ue 18:45, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- Comment So you essentially propose we wait God only knows how long in the hope that someone *may* come along and start working on it, but we don't really know when and what is there is taking up space which could be used by other projects to allow them to expand? OK, fair enough, we wait. You decide when we stop waiting and you realise it's essentially dead. I give up. BarkingFish 01:37, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, that is exactly what I propose. =) --Node ue 04:55, 28 August 2010 (UTC)
I've just "arrived" here via the article "Dong Hoi", existing in many languages. Unhappily, just in this article there are inconsistencies resp. mistakes, e. g. "Spain" instead of "Vietnam". Whether by vandalism or other reasons, I don't know. But in general, it's my opinion that, just as a new user may need a mentor, there has to be done something. Simply closing it is never a solution. Hellsepp 23:51, 22 July 2010 (UTC)