Proposals for closing projects/Closure of Hausa Wikipedia
- Oppose JensWilkinson 14:10, 29 July 2008 (UTC) Is there any good that would come from closing it? I can't see what harm some patience will do. People may start to contribute. Why rush the process?
- Oppose A12n 04:39, 30 July 2008 (UTC) Here we go again. Hausa is a major language spoken by 10s of millions used in print and media as well as a lingua franca. If there is a problem with lack of activity on it, that is certainly not a problem of lack of interest but certainly rather one of lack of awareness. If we are discussing closing/incubating Wikipedia editions for languages like this, I'd still contend that that represents a failure, not a problem of lack of interest. There needs to be a better approach with outreach and patience.
- Oppose Babbage 06:49, 30 July 2008 (UTC) For the reasons given in the previous comment. I'd also add that the very fact that the current state of the wiki is so small makes its impact on the infrastructure of the site minimal, what's to be gained by removing it? Deleting this wiki would not be in keeping with Wikipedia's goals.
- Oppose Malangali 07:08, 30 July 2008 (UTC) Closing this Wikipedia would send a terrible signal to speakers of one of the largest languages in Africa. Moreover, this proposal to close the Hausa project should be subject to a Speedy Delete, because it is unsigned mischief. An anonymous user can get into Meta and instigate the closure of a Wikipedia for an entire language? That's not kosher - AfD this proposal
- Oppose Oliver Stegen 10:15, 30 July 2008 (UTC) For all the above reasons. Also, Dr. Seibert's efforts at Hausa Online to raise support for the Hausa wikipedia should be given time (at least several months) to take effect.
- Oppose --Guaka 11:46, 30 July 2008 (UTC) I'm involved in 3 African language Wikipedias and these projects need a lot of time and care.
- Oppose Rjhatl 19:44, 30 July 2008 (UTC) There's no reason to close the Hausa WP, and doing so would send a negative message to those who are working on it. This closure proposal (and several others) are anonymous proposals that smell of vandalism.
- Where ARE these people who are working on it ? GerardM 07:19, 31 July 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose Hausaonline 16:00, 12 August 2008 (UTC) I am happy to read that my blog post on the possible closure of the Hausa Wikipedia has caused some alarm. I hope some learned Hausa speakers will invest some time and get involved.
- Oppose No valid reson for closure given. --Purodha Blissenbach 17:40, 4 September 2008 (UTC)