|For legal and security reasons, the Wikimedia Foundation has decided that two-factor authentication is required for this role.|
In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Burokrata, Administratzailea, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
- cu-ombuds-l lists.wikimedia.org
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire otsaila 2021):
- Ajraddatz from metawiki, wikidata
- DeltaQuad from enwiki
- Elmacenderesi from trwiki
- Emufarmers from enwiki
- Galahad from eswikivoyage
- Kelapstick from enwiki
- Taketa from nlwiki
- Teles from ptwiki
- Uzoma Ozurumba from metawiki
- Wikilover90 from puwiki
otsaila 2019 — otsaila 2020:
- EVinente from ptwiki
otsaila 2018 — otsaila 2020:
- Billinghurst from enwikisource (otsaila 2018 — otsaila 2019)
- Dyolf77 from commonswiki
- Jamie Tubers from enwiki
- Saileshpat from orwiki (otsaila 2018 — otsaila 2019)
otsaila 2017 — otsaila 2020:
- Góngora from cawiki, eswiki (otsaila 2017 — otsaila 2019)
- Krd from dewiki, commonswiki
- Lankiveil from enwiki (otsaila 2017 — apirila 2018)
- Richwales from enwiki (otsaila 2017 — otsaila 2018)
- Vogone from wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (otsaila 2017 — otsaila 2018)
otsaila 2016 — otsaila 2019:
- Alan from commonswiki (otsaila 2016 — otsaila 2018)
- NahidSultan from bnwiki, commonswiki (otsaila 2016 — otsaila 2017)
- Pajz from dewiki (otsaila 2016 — otsaila 2019)
otsaila 2015 — otsaila 2018:
- Alhen from eswiki (otsaila 2015 — otsaila 2017)
- Barras from simplewiki, metawiki (otsaila 2015 — azaroa 2016)
- PhilKnight from enwiki (otsaila 2015 — otsaila 2017)
- Rubin16 from ruwiki
otsaila 2014 — otsaila 2018:
- Avraham from enwiki (otsaila 2014 — otsaila 2016)
- Gnom from dewiki from itwiki (otsaila 2014 — otsaila 2017)
- M7 from itwiki (otsaila 2014 — ekaina 2014)
- Polimerek from plwiki
- Stryn from fiwiki, wikidatawiki (otsaila 2014 — uztaila 2014)
otsaila 2013 — otsaila 2017:
- Deskana from enwiki (otsaila 2013 — iraila 2013)
- Erzbischof from dewiki (otsaila 2013 — otsaila 2014)
- Huji from fawiki
- Levg from ruwiki (otsaila 2013 — otsaila 2015)
otsaila 2011 — otsaila 2016:
- Dweller from enwiki (apirila 2011 — otsaila 2013)
- FloNight from enwiki (apirila 2011 — otsaila 2014)
- Herbythyme from commonswiki (otsaila 2011 — apirila 2011)
- Mwpnl from nlwiki (otsaila 2011 — otsaila 2013)
- Pundit from plwiki (apirila 2011 — otsaila 2012)
- Sir48 from dawiki (otsaila 2011 — otsaila 2015)
- Thogo from dewiki
otsaila 2010 — otsaila 2011:
- Carkuni from jawiki
- DR from ruwiki
- Elian from dewiki
- Lar from enwiki, commonswiki
- Palnatoke from dawiki
urtarrila 2009 — otsaila 2010:
- PatríciaR from commonswiki
- Sam Korn from enwiki
- Schiste from frwiki
- Shizhao from zhwiki
- Tinz from dewiki
abendua 2007 — urtarrila 2009:
uztaila 2006 — abendua 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- in 2016: January–June, July–December.
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- Komunitatearen babesleak:
- Special global permissions