A happy new year to you! It's been a while since an update has been sent out to the Ohio Wikimedians User Group. Below you'll find a recap of what's been going on over the last few months, including annual reports and offline events.
- Phase 1 of the Wikimedia Movement strategy has concluded, and so far over 80 organized group have given their endorsement. If interested, please take a look at our User Group's talk page for more information, and to lend your support or opposition to the Ohio Wikimedians User Group endorsing the strategic direction by January 20th.
- The Ohio Wikimedians User Group's Annual Report for July 2016 - July 2017 has been released, viewable here. The report provides a summary and list of events, with event pages providing more details respectively.
- Wikipedia Connection's annual report for the 2016-17 academic year has also been released, viewable here. The report provides an overall summary, stats, acknowledgements, list and details of events, and more.
- The #1Lib1Ref campaign is taking place from January 15 - February 3 this year! The goal of the campaign is to get librarians to add just one reference to Wikipedia. This is a great opportunity to outreach to local librarians you may know. See the event page for more information.
- Back in July, Ohio hosted its 2017 Wiknic at the Ohio State University. Four Wikipedians from Columbus were in attendance.
- Back in October, Wikipedia Connection members Emery and Jon joined an edit-a-thon at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health labs in Cincinnati. It was a great success, with Wikipedians working with NIOSH scientists to improve Wikipedia's coverage of topics such as 3D Printing, Dustiness, and Nanotechnology. A shout-out to Emery and Jon from Wikipedia Connection for attending the event, and a special thanks to John Sadowski and everyone else at NIOSH who made this event possible.
- Wikimania 2017 took place August 9 to 13 in Montreal, Canada, with WikiConference North America 2017 taking place as a pre-conference to Wikimania. Kevin Payravi and Emery were in attendence, both representing the Ohio Wikimedians User Group, with Emery also representing Wikipedia Connection. During WikiConference North America, Kevin and Emery presented Wikipedia Organizations on Campus: Case Study and Guide.
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in the United States has come to a close. Over 1,400 individuals uploaded more than 8,000 photos of historic sites to the Wikimedia Commons. Of these photos, over 150 of them were of historic sites in Ohio. You can browse the Ohio photos here. A thank you to all who participated and helped improve coverage of Ohio!
Upcoming and Ongoing Events
- Offline events
- None currently planned.
- Online events
The goal of the campaign is to get librarians to add just one reference to Wikipedia. This is a great opportunity to outreach to local librarians you may know.