There are more than one (currently two) grants from the w:National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) that Wikimedia might qualify for.
Reference materials grantEdit
The NEH is offering a sizable grant for:
- databases and electronic archives that codify and integrate humanities materials, or provide bibliographical control of a subject or field;
- print and online encyclopedias about various fields in the humanities or about a particular area or subject;
- historical, etymological, and bilingual dictionaries that document a language, as well as reference grammars and other linguistic tools;
- tools for spatial analysis and representation of humanities data, such as atlases and geographical information systems (GIS); and
- descriptive catalogs that provide detailed information about humanities materials.
The deadline is July 15, 2004. Today is June 28, 2004. We can meet this deadline.
The NEH is providing a modest grant for:
"Helping museums, libraries, historical organizations, and community organizations develop a new project or chart a new interpretive direction for an institution. By using a Consultation grant, institutions can confer with a team of advisors to help identify key humanities themes and questions that will guide the early stages of a project's development."
(See section titled "grant program description").
However, the grant is not for "projects whose primary purpose is archival rather than interpretive". Wikipedia is not original research, so this could be a problem.
A coordination page will be at NEH Consultation grant application