This is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete.
Related to now concluded Wikimedia movement roles project.
A key part of the movement roles project is to learn from other global organizations. Please let us know of organizations movements you would regards as a peer of Wikimedia, and what you think we should learn from them.
Organizations that you might see as a peer to WikimediaEdit
- Amnesty International
- Creative Commons
- Free Software Foundation
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Human Rights Watch
- International Olympic movement
- Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
- Médecins Sans Frontières
- Mozilla Foundation
- Netsquared (Techsoup Global)
- Open Knowledge Foundation
- Red Cross / Red Crescent
- Room to Read
- Save the Children
What we want to learn from themEdit
- Name of movement - how is it known?
- Vision, mission, purpose, goals - why does it exist?
- History - when was it founded, and are which are the key events in its story?
- Geographical reach or limits - where does it work?
- Impact to date - what has it done so far?
- Budget, spending and fundraising - how much does it raised and spend?
- Structure - which entities make up the movement, and what key facts do we know about each?
- Leadership contacts - who could we contact to learn about how this movement works?
Roles of different entities and groups within their movementEdit
- Is there a central organization with branches or a network of legally independent entities?
- Can the different entities or groups be categorized geographically (e.g. by country), functionally (e.g. fundraising vs. program), or other?
How they make decisions for the whole movement across different groups and entitiesEdit
- How do they pick their long-term goals and strategy – make decisions that are important but not necessarily urgent?
- How do they respond to global issues, e.g. deliver humanitarian relief after a natural disaster – make urgent decisions that affect the whole movement?
- How do the resolve local issues, e.g. ensure safety of volunteers – make urgent decisions locally?
- How do they operate coherently, e.g. standardize reporting formats – make global decisions that are neither urgent nor top priority?
What we have already discovered about each organizationEdit
As part of the strategy process, several case studies were done of similar organizations.
- Need to insert links here