Meetip/UNC/Women in Science
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Kenan Science Library and the campus’ Women in Science and Engineering group and the are co-hosting the “Women in Science Edit-a-thon at UNC”.
The goal of the Women in Science Edit-a-thon at UNC will be:
- to create pages for women scientists who do not currently have their own dedicated page,
- to improve citations and supplement pages that currently exist but are sparse, and
- to identify opportunities to create links that make women scientists’ profiles more accessible.
We want to emphasize that no subject knowledge nor Wikipedia editing experiencing is necessary! For those of us who are new to Wikipedia, we will have an introductory workshop that will teach us the basics of creating new articles and editing existing Wikipedia articles. Attendees will also have the opportunity to explore and learn more about the Makerspace, a part of the UNC Libraries’ Research Hub initiative.
WHEN: April 16, 2015 from 6:00PM-10:00PM. While we have an official start and end time, we encourage anyone who is interested in participating to come when you are free and stay for as long as you would like!
WHERE: Kenan Science Library and Makerspace on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus.
WHO: We welcome anyone to participate with us!
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax.)
- Scientists and non-scientists! (The Kenan Science Library will help provide resources to assist with your research.)
- UNC faculty, staff, and students.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ARRIVE: The Kenan Science Library is located on the ground floor of Venable Hall (G301). Volunteers will be there to greet you.
- While there will be computers available, we encourage you to bring your own laptop! If you have not connected to the UNC wireless network before, volunteers will be available to help you set your computer up.
- Parking at UNC is free in most lots after 5PM. We have planned our event so that you will be able to park in the Venable parking lot.
WILL THERE BE FOOD?: Yes! Participants will have access to refreshments and pizza throughout the event. We want to keep our participants fueled and happy!
We understand that not everyone will be able to make it to the event on the 16th. We want you to still have the opportunity to participate, so please feel free to participate remotely!
Throughout the event, we will be updating this page in real time. Participants will be able to identify the articles or tasks that they would most like to complete. Throughout the event, comments and questions can either be emailed to uncwise(at)gmail(dot)com or tweeted to @kyle_reeves with the hashtag #UNCWISEeditathon. If you are participating remotely, don’t forget to edit this page to RSVP below!
We will be using the WikiProject_Women_scientists/Worklist#Articles_to_be_created to guide our edit-a-thon. Participants are encouraged to pursue their own interests, as well. This list contains articles to be created as well as articles to be improved, so feel free to identify an article that matches how ambitious you feel!
Online Research SourcesEdit
Please add your name below if you are planning to attend.
This section will be update following the event to communicate all of the changes the hard work of our editors produced.