Learning patterns/Uploading files using VicuñaUploader
What problem does this solve?Edit
Upload batches of files with same description to Wikimedia Commons and other projects. It is useful while uploading large number of files from off-line. This software also supports geotagging, chunked uploads, and file-name conflicts but only supports Windows operating system.
What is the solution?Edit
- Before installing vicuna, make sure you have Java installed in your system. You can check whether you have Java installed here:https://www.java.com/pl/download/installed.jsp. To download Java: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.
- Download Vicuna here: http://yarl.github.io/vicuna/ and save it as .zip file.
- Unzip the file and double click the file. It will open as .jar file.
Edit File descriptionEdit
- It is advisable to clump the files that have the same description and information.
- This is the meta information. Go to settings. You can do it by clicking over the settings icon or press (Ctrl+T) keys.
- Select author. There are two tabs for this. Own work or another option to fill the author information for files that are not your original work.
- Next fill source, attribution (appropriate license) and categories (for more than one category separate using semicolon
(;). All fields can (but do not have to) be filled in using wikicode; the License field must be filled in using wikicode, (for instance, PD-old-100, cc-by-sa-4.0, etc.) in double curly brackets. Find the right license here: Copyright tags
- In text under license field, add the information for the work, such as Personality rights, Trademarked as well as OTRS permissions.
Choose the files/folderEdit
Select the files you wish to upload to Wikimedia Commons or other Wiki project on your computer by clicking on the yellow folder icon. Alternatively, you can drag the file in the vicuna or press Ctrl+Space keys.
Add description and select to uploadEdit
Next step, in the file panel, you need to edit title name, Date, description and categories (if it is different than the ones applied earlier for whole batch). For description, you can add relevant information about the work in the template en | Description Text in English enclosed in double curly brackets. This can be done for multiple files at the same time by pressing left click and Shift or Left click and Ctrl to select them.
Login and uploadEdit
You can login with your Wikimedia username and password with Ctrl+’. Click the upload icon in the bottom right corner or simply press Ctrl+U. In the next step, you will be asked which Wiki project you want to upload the files to.
Things to considerEdit
- Make sure that the latest version of Java is installed on your computer. Download Java here: https://www.java.com/download/
- The information you add should be in English. Vicuna does not support all the fonts but does support few languages other than English.
- More information can be found on Commons:VicuñaUploader.
When to useEdit
- While uploading batch files for GLAM projects with same description fields.
- When flexibility and control over descriptions is not needed
- For GLAM projects: in order to create a custom description format
- When you wish to upload a single big file or batch files on other Wiki projects (such as Wikisource) apart from Wikimedia Commons.
- Data transfers to Wikimedia Commons: Sharing institutional_archives
- VicuñaUploader page on Github for developers and contributors
- Translate VicuñaUploader to your language