Learning patterns/Consolidate Wikipedia and Education using UNESCO's principles for education
A learning pattern foreducation
created on19 September, 2015
What problem does this solve?Edit
- Education keeps Wikipedia in a distance, advocating in bad Wikipedia reputation, because of reliability issues found in articles.
- Editor gender gap is high as long as Wikipedia is not a safe place for all.
What is the solution?Edit
- Use UNESCO taxonomy to select (or define new & add) educational targets for trainees, evenly distributed across its 4 pillars of education, and promote your project as such. This is core to the education system, in accepted standards and language. No other education tool can deepen as much as Wikipedia can, across all pillars.
- UNESCO principles make Wikipedia a safer place for all. Wikipedia School of Athens has been built on this core: there is no gender gap, no bites from old users, no reverts in articles.
Educational objectives according to UNESCO taxonomyEdit
Level 1: Learning to know - (knowledge)Edit
- To familiarize with the environment and the map of Wikipedia
- To recognize and understand the pillars of Wikipedia policy (verifiability, neutrality, no original research)
- To understand copyright issues in order to protect Wikipedia content
- To protect Wikipedia from advertising, self-promotion etc.
- ... (add yours)
Level 2: Learning to do - Exploring and identifying (skills)Edit
- To realize personal abilities as an editor at the very beginning
- To identify reliable sources of documentation that fairly reflect different perspectives
- To discern themes that are encyclopedically notable
- To use encyclopedic tone
- To create comprehensive article lead sections
- To structure articles well using proper headings and sections
- To deepen in copyright issues
- ... (add yours)
Level 3: Learning to live together with others - Communicating and collaborating with others (exploration, communication-cooperation)Edit
- To shape content using argumentation based on objectivity and usage of examples
- To develop thesis placability
- To grow emotional and social intelligence
- To become aware and conscious of the emotional load of word
- To cultivate good faith
- To avoid criticism in the face
Level 4: Learning to be - Relate to real lifeEdit
- To cherish respect in all aspects, intercultural
- To be responsible in using public word
- To communicate and collaborate via the objective reason, detached from personal truth
- To distinguish naturally and effortlessly credible word
- To use clear word and be able to support it with arguments
- To conceive that opposing people can function together under a common vision
- To feel the pleasure of publication and salutary of contribution and volunteerism
Things to considerEdit
- Create work sheets that correspond to the objectives you plan to teach, if you are a teacher of Informatics.
- Teach Wikipedia policy (i.e civility, assuming good faith etc).
- Use examples of behavior form within Wikipedia, and let the group of trainees analyze. Guide only.
- Use material found in "external links" session (below) to inspire and give example. Also create yours.
- Consider referencing to Bloom's revised taxonomy (2000) as well (en:Higher-order thinking): Wikipedia contributing goes up to creating, the higher level of its hierarchy pyramid.
When to useEdit
- Paradise and Hell
- Path of the heart (yet to be translated)
- Underlying emotion (yet to be translated)
- Critique (yet to be translated)
- Wikipedian's mask (yet to be translated - special skills needed to teach theatrically)