CIS-A2K//Work plan July 2014 - June 2015/Med GLAM Project
This GLAM Project will be undertaken by 3 institutional partners:
- Department of Pathology (DoP), Calicut Medical College, Kerala (CMC) &
- Wikimedia India Chapter (WMIN) &
- The Centre for Internet and Society, Access to Knowledge Program (CIS-A2K)
The main objective of this project is to create, curate and make openly available images from the DoP for the benefit of medical and para-medical students and staff of CMC specifically and for the larger medical fraternity across the world, using open knowledge Wikimedia platforms.
DoP at CMC, one of the leading departments of Pathology in India, deeply believes in providing seamless access to knowledge and resources of the department to its students and staff. DoP also has a keen interest in sharing its resources and knowledge openly for use and study, which would in turn further grow the disciple of pathology. WMIN and CIS-A2K share a deep interest in furthering open knowledge movement in India using Wikimedia projects and through institutional partnerships.
Implementation Plan Edit
- Reunite dispersed collection of pathology images of the DoP in a phased manner to re-release them under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license and then to upload them on Wikimedia Commons.
- Provide necessary training to the students and staff of DoP about contributing to Wikimedia projects including uploading of digital images of DoP on Wikimedia Commons.
- Appropriately categorize and give a brief description to all the digital images of DoP, being uploaded on to Wikimedia Commons, with the help of its students and staff of DoP.
- Run necessary training camps, workshops and events on “Openness” at CMC.
- Organize public event/s, which could lead to increased visibility of Wikimedia projects, Commons and Creative Commons licenses in Kerala.
- Do offline versions of the uploaded images and send a copy to all the key Medical institutions in India, which will increase the visibility of Wikimedia projects among the Indian medical fraternity.
Strategy: WMIN and CISA2K will nominate a Wikimedian in Residence at CMC who will oversee the progress of the project and help assist DoP in executing this project successfully. WMIN and CISA2K will collectively commit to bearing incidental expenses towards organizing various training programs to be held at CMC. DoP will offer its infrastructural resources and institutional support for the successful execution of the project. The three institutional partners will develop a detailed action plan that will be closely reviewed on a monthly basis.
Timeline: The project will be spread-over a period of 9 months. During the first 4 months the focus will be curating the content at DoP that will be beneficial for the MBBS students.
Projected Outcomes Edit
- Comprehensive collection of the DoP to be made openly accessible to not only the students & staff of CMC but also to the students and researchers world-wide interested in the discipline of Pathology
- Students and staff of CMC get training on using Wikimedia projects and gain exposure on the larger debates pertaining to Openness.
- Wikimedia commons to gain high quality pathology images which will be an enviable addition to its existing collection of media resources.
- A successful implementation of this project could become a model for other higher education institutions in India (including other departments at CMC) to embrace ‘open knowledge’.
- DoP to gain global visibility as the first medical Wikimedia GLAM partner in India and to have taken initiative to create Open Educational Resources in Medicine. This could trigger the creation of more OER in the field of Medicine and other disciplines.
|Expenditure Item*||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|Volunteer Support (including travel and stay)||70,000/-||1,132.66||-||-|
* all the expenses listed above will be incurred at the community level by CIS-A2K.
List of Contributors Edit
This project has been developed in consultation with: