CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2014 - June 2015/Odia
Odia was one of the five focus language areas for CIS-A2K during the last year. The Odia work plan was developed in consultation with the community and was rolled out during the last year.
Based on the success, learning, feedback and organizational partnerships achieved so far a revised plan is being created for 2016-2017. By and large, this plan summarizes the overall activities and vision for one year starting July 2016.
Performance against PlansEdit
|Key Activity||Sub Activity||Status update|
|WikiProjects for content growth||WikiProject Villages and towns of Odisha:
Creating articles about villages and towns of Odisha
|About 5 Wikipedians contributed towards creating more than 200 articles. They also helped to get a few new editors to Odia Wikipedia. Momentum could not be sustained for a long run.|
|Enhancement of 100 core articles by existing community.||Because of the overload of work on a small community this project could not be continued. One learning from this failure was that if a couple of experienced editors might have been selected as leaders; they could have kept the enthusiasm high and motivated community members to participate actively.|
|Lilvati’s daughters Project:
Creation of articles on women scientists
|23 articles created on Odia Wikipedia because of significant contribution by one experienced editor, Dr. Subas Chandra Rout. Other editors also pitched in.|
|Mass awareness events||Odia Wikipedia 10: Odia Wikipedia’s 10th anniversary was organized at Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) and Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC).||This event was primarily organized by active editors and a few newly recruited editors. The event received good media coverage resulting in at least 80 new accounts being created and also brought in a few active editors.|
|Community storytelling and media coverage||Many experienced and new Wikipedians were interviewed as part of the WikipediansSpeak project. This helped in increasing the visibility of the Odia Wikimedia community.||News coverage and interviews of editors have been useful to spread awareness about Odia Wikipedia, the opportunities and challenges attached to the projects. These video interviews also helped gain higher visibility for Odia Wikipedians.|
|There were more than 15 news coverage in print and web media.|
|Cultivating new editors||Odia Wikipedia Education Program at Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)||19 students participated in this program. Some of them have been active even after the formal program concluded (over the last 5-6 months). However, it has been a challenge to achieve high retention rate.|
CIS-A2K's initiatives have resulted in the growth of the Odia community and projects. CIS-A2K's efforts have helped catalyze the growth of content, editors and also helped build partnerships to strengthen Odia community. This in no way takes away the credit from the Odia community and all its hard work without which these impacts would not have been achieved. The major credit goes to the Odia Wikipedia community that has welcomed CIS-A2K, engaged with the plans, understood the program’s limitations and optimally utilized movement resources.
The impact of CIS-A2K’s work on Odia Wikipedia can be viewed in the factsheet and graphs shared below:
|No. of Editors as on Jan 2013||No. of Editors as on June 2014||No. of Active Editors as on Jan 2013||No. of Active Editors as on June 2014||No. of Articles/entries as on Jan 2013||No. of Articles/entries as on June 2014||No. of outreach events||No. of celebratory-outreach events|
Update against Last Year's GoalsEdit
(by June 30, 2014)
(by June 30, 2014)
(As of June 2014)
|No. of Editors||120||350||99|
|No. of New editors||13||40||2|
|No. of New Active editors||35||100||10|
|No. of Articles||5000||6000||8158|
|No. of Outreach Events||12||15||9|
- Total number of articles crossed the dream target that was set up last year. However, total number of editors and total number of outreach events are closer to the dream target.
- Revisiting “WikiProject villages and towns of Odisha”: This project concentrated on creating articles on villages and towns of Odisha and has brought about 200 new articles and active involvement from more than 5 editors.
- Lilavati’s daughters edit-a-thon project: Project on Indian scientists got major contribution from one Wikipedian and support from several other Wikipedians that yielded over 23 articles.
- There were about 25 press coverages in print, web and television media including special features in two popular newspapers: The Sambad and The Samaja. These have led to 80 new accounts being created creating and contributions from 3-4 new editors. Number of new editors have grown from 1 to 9 during the months of November 2013 to January 2014.
- There was a hike in the growth of active editors in July 2013 and this corresponds with the time when the first phase of the workshops at IIMC was rolled out. Similarly, there is another hike in November 2013 which corresponds to the time when the education program and outreach was rolled out at IIMC and KISS.
- During the month of July and November 2013 there was a hike of new editors. However, retention rate and sustainability of editors is still low. On an average, in a classroom of 20 students; only 2-3 have continued their contributions after the formal program concluded.
- Returning Wikipedians: 2-3 inactive Wikipedians started contributing and taking part in activities initiated by CIS-A2K.
- The number of readers have grown from 300,195 to 535,491 (78 % growth) during June 2013 - June 2014; there were majority of outreach activities and media coverages during the same time frame.
- Wiki meetups have become more frequent and goal oriented.
- WikiProjects were planned during meetups and community members collaboratively implemented them by distributing tasks.
- Individual Wikimedians started taking responsibilities for executing on-wiki activities.
- Follow up sessions have become a must for all outreach events with a target of making every editor edit at least five times.
- Two experienced editors were trained over three days during the Train-the-Train program organized by CIS-A2K. These editors were trained on different aspects such as open knowledge, social media and public speaking; and they have now started taking initiatives to train more Wikimedians.
- Two Wikimedians were mentored during the Telugu Dasabdi celebration (Telugu Wikipedia’s 10 year celebration) to plan and implement projects. This has helped them organize the Odisha Day celebration.
- Odia Wikipedia Education program at IIMC helped Odia Wikimedia community to get more on-ground experience and high level of confidence to organize mass outreach events.
- Built new partnership with KISS for building community to contribute to Odia WikiSource, Odia Wikipedia and Santali WikiSource. Students from KIIT University have started contributing to Indian language Wikipedias.
- CIS-A2K led storytelling initiatives that introduced local Odia community not only to other Indian language Wikimedia communities but also to the global community. These video interviews (7 interviews of Wikipedians, academicians, media personalities and policy makers) have helped give high visibility to Odia editors.
Revisiting the Needs AssessmentEdit
- Majority of the Odia Wikipedia editors are currently in the age group of 15-30. To help diversify; we need more focussed outreach for professionals and the elderly.
- More coverage is needed in magazines, newspapers op-eds, children's magazines and other publications, to help reach the masses.
- Majority of professionals in the printing and publishing industry are familiar with ISCII based input methods, primarily typing with a generic layout called “Modular”. To bring these people on Wikimedia platform, there is a need to include Modular layout in MediaWiki's Universal Language System (ULS); and follow it up by conducting focussed outreach sessions for these professionals.
- Almost all newspapers, magazines and other publications use various ISCII standards (Non Unicode) for their desktop publishing. Some have archives that could be accessed. Only a handful of them have web versions that are available in Unicode. There is a need to create more awareness and share advantages of releasing these in CC-BY-SA 3.0.
- Many of the scanned books by organizations like Srujanika do not have public access. There is a need for creating digital public libraries with open access.
- Until now most community activities have been focussed on growing content. There is need to implement community programs to increase editor base.
- Most active community members are based primarily in Bhubaneswar and Nalconagar with a few in Cuttack. There is a need for expansion of the community in other cities in Odisha and the Odia diaspora else where in India.
- There is a need for self-learning video tutorials on how to edit Odia Wikipedia for new editors.
Cultivating New EditorsEdit
- Long term outreach programs spanning over 2-3 months have made new editor activity more sustainable in the past. Similar programs will be executed in the coming year.
- Print and social media coverages have led to an increase in new account creation and editors. CIS-A2K will aim at increasing its media coverage in 2014-15.
- Institutional partnerships (higher education)- Based on the previous year’s experience of approaching higher education institutions, a list is put together below this section. CIS-A2K will focus its energies in building institutional partnerships with these institutions in developing thematic projects.
- Strengthening ties with existing partners - Though with the existing partner organizations, the major focus is around content, bringing new Wikipedians is the other goal to achieve. Wikipedia Education Programs in institutions helps creating and fostering an active new editor community. Following are the existing institutional partners and plans for the new editor building:
CIS-A2K will execute an Odia Wikipedia Education Program at IIMC. However, based on the learnings from last two programs, CIS-A2K will aim to start the program as soon as the new batch commences.
- Rolling out the third Odia Wikipedia Education Program (OEP) for a batch of 20 Odia journalism students.
- Training new editors with the help of current editors to organise editing workshops.
- 20 new editors
- Minimum 4-5 active editors who continue their editing activity post the program.
- Minimum 20 good quality articles.
Integrating Odia Wikipedia into the curriculum of KISS such that 30 master students work towards creating articles on tribal languages, culture, heritage and locations of Eastern India.
- Forming an OR WP core group at KISS.
- Training the WP Core group.
- Organize training workshops.
- CIS-A2K personnel will be located at KISS and KIIT for a period of 3 months to do intensive training programs and offer support.
- Total outreach for about 100 students. Of this 30 will be converted into active contributors.
- Approximately 200 new articles being created.
Other higher educational institutions:
|KIIT University, Bhubaneswar||Introductory workshops for engineering and management students conducted. Planning for more outreach being discussed with faculty.|
|Utkal University, Bhubaneswar||Plans for Wikipedia Education Program for Odia masters students being discussed with professors|
|Fakir Mohan University||Plans for Wikipedia Education Program for Odia masters students being discussed with professors|
To partner with the above institutions in developing thematic projects and creating a network of academicians that will actively use Odia Wikipedia as part of their pedagogy. To reach out to 2 other higher education institutions to conduct Odia Wikipedia Workshops mainly with an intention to create awareness and explore possibilities for long-term partnerships.
- Come up with a calendar of events/schedule for each of the institution in consultation with the coordinating faculty.
- Enter into formal agreements with institutions wherever possible. Introduce and involve key Odia Wikipedians from the initial conversations.
- In collaboration with key Odia Wikipedians; design and roll-out workshops.
- Continuous mentoring, monitoring and evaluation of new editors cultivated under the project.
- Use Odia Wikipedia Facebook group for higher visibility of these projects.
- Facilitate need-based technical and online support
- Motivating students and faculty to author blogs.
- Constant liaison with the coordinating faculty of department.
- Quarterly review of the project progress; in consultation with the Odia community.
- Expected to enlist about 100 new editors on Odia Wikipedia. Of this an attempt will be made to convert 15-25 people into active editors.
- Will result in creation of new 100 quality thematic articles.
- Will result in the expansion and quality improvement of 200 existing stub class articles.
- Could become a model to attract the attention of bodies like UGC/Universities/NAAC in actively considering the use of Wikipedia as a pedagogic tool in quality higher education in Indian languages.
New editors often do not start asking questions on-wiki talk pages or do not take part in any IRC or other discussions. It is crucial for the existing community to extend support to new editors and be available on various platforms like social media, chat; and if required over phone.
- Have a set of standard FAQ that could be used for social media platforms.
- Links to specific resources when new editors ask question.
- Taking social media questions gradually onto Chatasabha and talk pages by guiding new editors.
- Have experienced editors as mentors on social media platforms.
- Rewarding the mentors to keep their motivation level high.
- Pilot a Facebook campaign of tagging members of the Odia Wikipedia Facebook group, initiate conversation and invite to edit Wikipedia article.
- Provide support to all new editors that come from outreach efforts in IIMC (About 20).
- Mentor 40-50 per cent of the existing members of the Facebook group who are otherwise not editors.
- Diversity in community
Most of the existing editors are primarily youngsters. There are some focused programs being planned to diversify the community and have more school children, elderly people and women in the community.
- Celebrating children's day in some schools where the community can travel easily and educate students about Wikipedia editing and conducting workshops.
- Celebrating the month of March and WikiWomen's month with activities like article writing competitions in the partner organizations.
- Celebrating other events which are centered for children, women and elderly.
- 1-2 events focused for children in at least two cities.
- 2-3 events focused for women in 2-3 cities.
- Outreach for elderly people: Thematic outreach for elderly people, 4 outreach events in a span of 2 months.
Creating Learning TutorialsEdit
There is a need for self-learn video tutorials on how to edit Odia Wikipedia for new editors. The Odia Wikimedia community has often discussed the need for these tutorials.
- Series of editing tutorials; like already done in Hindi and Kannada.
- Involve the community in script and designing of the tutorials.
- Providing tutorial DVDs for public distribution.
- Production of at least 10 video tutorials.
- 500 DVDs would be provided to the community.
Strengthening Existing CommunityEdit
WikiTungi: Deepening Community Support in Three CitiesEdit
WikiTungi ("Tungi" in Odisha used to be village gatherings in the evening that were meant for spiritual scripture reading, discussions about village developments and sorting out issues) is a thematic project that would focus on city-wise development of existing community. Regular meetups, collaborative resource gathering and edit-a-thons would be the major activities.
WikiTungi would be a city-wise group of experienced editors. There would be regular meetups and local outreach programs. The activities would be confined to the city and would cater to the interests of the members. Minimal grant would be allocated for activities that incur expenses.
- Forming a committee for the WikiTungi
- Monthly meetups
- Occasional WikiNics (outing or exploration) to nearby tourist or cultural places for photography, gathering documents, documenting oral history, etc.
- Bimonthly edit-a-thons
- Library building
- Initiating WikiTungi in 2 cities - Nalconagar and Bhubaneswar
- About 12 community meetups
- 5-6 edit-a-thons involving about 6 editors focused on one subject area of common interest
- 3-4 WikiNics
- About 100-200 books and regular subscription to magazines and newspapers
There is a need for capacity building workshops to enhance skill-sets of the existing community members. Below is a detailed plan for the skill enhancement for the existing community.
- Capacity building of existing editors.
- Training for planning and implementing new WikiProjects; outreach events; mentor new editors on-wiki on various platforms including social media, on-wiki and off-wiki.
- On-wiki training for blogging/community storyteling.
Training workshops by experts in:
- Conducting successful online and offline outreach.
- Social media strategy for fostering new editors.
- MediaWiki training
- Motivating community members for storytelling and blogging about community activities.
- 2-3 community building training sessions involving 10-15 active editors.
- 2-3 Technical training sessions for technically sound editors.
- Regular blog posts from community members.
Content Donation/Release under CC LicenseEdit
In collaboration with some of organizations and individuals; CIS-A2K will try to get content digitized and make it available under CC-BY-SA 3.0.
CIS-A2K will help the community to get access to the digitized books by Srujanika (740 totally out of which 240 are available for download at Open Access To Oriya Books (OAOB) project) and also use them as resources during outreach programs. The vast amount of encyclopedic information available in these books and periodicals can also feed into Odia Wikipedi articles.
CIS-A2K has had a few initial conversations with Srujanika. To start with, CIS-A2K will get about 15 of the books digitized. These books will be made available in public domain.
About 50 books/periodicals with encyclopedic content would be made available under CC0/CC-BY-SA 4.0.
- See Annexure for more potential institutions.
- Other individuals/institutions
In collaboration with authors/publishers/copyright owners, CIS-A2K will support in relicensing books, digitizing them and helping the community use them to enhance Odia Wikipedia. The vast amount of encyclopedic information available in these books and periodicals can also feed into Odia Wikipedia articles.
CIS-A2K has been in conversation with authors, publishers and copyright holders to relicense books under a Creative Commons Share-Alike license.
About 50 books with encyclopedic content would be made available under CC-BY-SA 4.0.
Unicode Content Release for already Digitized Resources in ISCII FontsEdit
"The Utkal Prasanga"Edit
Digitizing articles from "The Utkal Prasanga" (publications about Odisha, Odia language and culture) by releasing the magazines in CC-BY-SA 3.0. Content will be converted from ISCII standards to Unicode for reuse on Wikipedia.
- A proposal will be sent to the department to re-release under CC-BY-SA 3.0.
- CIS-A2K will facilitate the ISCII-Unicode conversion software
- A group will be formed and trained for the digitization process.
- After digitization magazine's content; text will be made available in Unicode.
- Index to the digitized content will be created on Odia Wikipedia for searching and navigating.
- Re-licensing of all the volumes of The Utkal Prasanga and The Odisha Review after 2004 that are available on the website.
- Building a ISCII->Unicode conversion software
- Digitization and making the digitized books available with public access.
Resource personnel: Dr. Lenin Mohanty, Editor, The Odisha Review
"Jati, Jagruti o Pragati" and "Bhasa O JariyataEdit
Digitizing articles from "Jati, Jagruti o Pragati" and "Bhasa O Jariyata" (Historical research books about Odia language, Odia people and Odisha) by releasing the books in CC-BY-SA 3.0. Content will be changed from ISCII standards to Unicode for reuse.
- Re-licensing of the books and uploading on Wikimedia Commons
- Creating a small community for the digitization project.
- Training the editors about conversion of font to Unicode standard
- Digitize the portions that would be useful for enriching Wikipedia
- Digitization of two books
- Enhancing at least 25 article by about 2-4 editors
Resource personnel: Subrat Prusty
Content Generation and Quality ImprovementEdit
Catalogue of ResourcesEdit
Helping the community to enhance a resource page on Odia Wikipedia which will help editors to access encyclopedic resources for creating/enhancing articles.
- Enhancement of the resource page.
- Supporting community to expand the content of the catalogue and linking to the available resources.
- Enriching the resource page with links to about 100 volumes of books and online resources.
- Institute of Odia Studies and Research, Bhuaneswar
Selective translation of "Classical Odia" (Historial research on Odia language) into Odia. Selection will be done on the basis of encyclopedic content that would benefit Odia Wikipedia articles.
- Selection of chapters/portions of the book by the community
- Facilitating translation of the selected portions into Odia; including proofreading
- Facilitating article creation/enhancement on Wikipedia by outreeach
- Creation/enrichment of about 20 articles on Odia Wikipedia by 2-4 editors.
CIS-A2K will put some policy efforts in Odisha. The following efforts are planned:
- As part of this we will collaborate with the Odia Wikimedia community and other like-minded organizations in creating draft submission for the Government of Odisha towards the growth and improvement of open knowledge in Odia.
- Submissions will be made before some ministries to consider publishing publicly funded content under CC0/CC-by-SA.
- Submissions will be made requesting the government to license all text books under CC0/CC-by-SA.
- Submissions will be made for the Department of Education to bring curriculum changes to include Odia Wikipedia and sister projects.
- CIS-A2K will also try to hold various orientation sessions for bureaucrats and senior government officials on the importance of Free and Open Source and Open Knowledge,
Technical Support and DevelopmentEdit
Font and Software BuildingEdit
New tools and enhancement plans for addressing several technical issues faced by the community.
- OFL licensed Odia font
Facilitating a good quality free licensed font for major publication, and offline distribution.
A new typeface project, Odia Jagannatha has been initiated. In the first phase two typefaces in OFL license are going to be released.
- Facilitating maintenance and bug fixing in a regular basis based on user feedback
- Offline input tool
Facilitating an offline Odia input tool.
- Liaison with developers and coders for designing an offline tool
- Either enhancing the tool created by Wikimedian Manoj Sahukar or creation of new one
- Mass distribution in partner institutions
- User and community feedback for bugs and feature enhancement needs
- Enhancement, fixing bugs
- Odia input tool with all the available input layouts to help users type offline
- Increase editor participation with this feature where those having limited access could also contribute to Wikipedia
|Parameters||As on June 30, 2014||Expected Target by June 30, 2015||Dream Target by June 30, 2015|
|No. of Editors||99||200||250|
|No. of New editors||9 (during last year)||30||50|
|No. of Active editors||10||30||60|
|No. of Articles||8158||11,000||13,000|
|No. of Outreach Events||9||29||50|
|No. of Books Donated||12||75||100|
|No. of Folios Digitized||NA||5,000||7,500|
|No. of Institutional Partnerships||2||5||10|
Activity-wise Break-up of TargetsEdit
|Activity||No. of New Articles||No. of Existing Articles Quality Improved||No. of New Editors||No. of New Active Editors||No. of Events||No. of Partnerships built|
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind support (US$)|
|1 PO x 40% *||330,240/-||5343.55||-||-|
|1 PD x 10% **||144,000/-||2330.04||81,600/-||1320.35|
|Travel and Stay ***||150,000/-||2,427.12||200,000/-||3,236.16|
- * 40% of Subhashish Panigrahi's time as Program Officer, who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K.
- ** 10% of T. Vishnu Vardhan’s time as Program Director, CIS-A2K.
- *** Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan.
List of ContributorsEdit
- Shitikantha Dash
- Dr. Mrinal Chatterjee
- Dr. Partho Sengupta
- Surjya Kanta Mohanty
- Dr. Madan Mohan Sahu
Even though there is no clear project implementation plan, there is scope for getting open access content from some of the following resources based on the meetings and ties CIS-A2K has with the organizations/individuals. CIS-A2K will also put in efforts for getting content donated/re-released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 from the following media and publication houses:
- Initiatives by Srujanika:
Srujanika is a voluntary research and publication organization based in Bhubaneswar. Their primary focus in the last 25 years has been spread
|Sl No.||Book/Publication||Year of publication||State of copyright, Right to distribute for educational purpose|
|1||Purnnachandra Bhashakosha||1811-1942||Public Domain|
|2||Bigyan Tarang & other publications from Srujanika||Copyrighted, distributable with permission for educational purpose|
|3||Utkala Deepika (Periodical, first Odia newspaper)||1866||Public Domain|
|4||Utkala Sahitya (Literary collection)||1897||Public Domain|
|5||Sahakara (Newspaper)||1911||Public Domain|
|6||Odia magazines||1906-1947||Public Domain|
|7||Baleswar Sambad Bahika (Newspaper)||Public Domain|
|8||Sambalpur Haitesini||Public Domain|
|9||Newspapers and magazines of early 20th century (The Asha, The Nabina, etc.)||Public Domain|
|10||Various literary books||1856-1920||Public Domain|
|11||Bikalpa Bichara (Review and research essays, all editions)||Public Domain|
|12||Jatindramohan Srujana Sambhara (All the writing collections by Jatindramohan Mohanty and Bijayalaxmi Mohanty)||Copyrighted, distributable with permission for educational purpose|
N.B. If the author had passed away 60 years prior to the release a publication then it is categorized under public domain in India by default. Public domain books could be accessed, shared and even used for commercial use.
- Digitization project at the Harekrushna Mahtab State Library, Bhubaneswar by Department of Culture, Odisha
Harekrushna Mahtab State Library has over 180,00,000 books out of which many are out of copyright. The library in collaboration with the National Informatics Center (NIC) is trying to digitize some of the books, creating an in-campus digital library with the catalogue of the books available in the library and create an internet browsing center that will allow visitors to access information online by paying a nominal fee.  CIS-A2K had a discussion with the library to understand the kind of work that is in progress for the digitization project. Currently some of the library staff are involved in setting up the digital scanner and other technical infrastructure for this project. The library has informally agreed to allow a group of people to take part in the digitization process.
|Organization||Details||Relevance/importance to Odia Wikipedia/WikiSource|
|Sansar Press||Publication house based in Cuttack publishing children and teen's magazine "The Sansar". Literature, science and biographical books.||
|Eastern Media Ltd. (EML)||
Institutions housed under EML:
|Lokasebak Mandal||With more than 100 years of publication history Lokasebak Mandal at Cuttack also has been publishing Odisha's oldest newspaper The Samaja.||Online archival of The Samaja and other publications would be useful for the Odia Wikipedia community to enrich Wikipedia.|
|Grantha Mandir||Grantha mandir is an old publication house based in Cuttack that has published books of diverse subjects in Odia, English and other languages.||Many of the books which are out of print and useful for the Wikipedia community could be digitized and made openly available.|
|Manik-Biswanath Trust||Founded by notable Children's literature writer Dr. Jagannath Mohanty this society has a community of writers, researchers and professors of Odia language and researchers.||Dr. Mohanty's major books are going to be released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 and digitized by the primary level students at KISS using WikiSource. Other books of Dr. Mohanty would be digitized and would be great resource for the Wikimedia community.|
|Dr. Ramesh Chandra Bhanja||Dr. Bhanja is author of many popular children's literature.||His writings not only creates a scope of a useful digital library for Wikipedians and public but also creating Open Educational Resources.|
Libraries for GLAM InitiativesEdit
These are the libraries that CIS-A2K aspires to partner with to conduct mass content creation by the readers and staff members of the library:
- Parija library at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
- Revenshaw University and Library, Cuttack
- Utkal University's Central Library, Bhubaneswar
- Harekrushna Mahatab Library, Bhubaneswar
- Sambad Library, Bhubaneswar
- ↑ Odia Wikipedia article growth in last 365 days
- ↑ Learning from two of the education programs:
Since 2012, two Odia Wikipedia Education Programs have been included as one of the key student activities by IIMC, Dhenkanal. During these programs students took part in learning Wikipedia editing and contributed to diverse topics. First Odia Wikipedia Education Program was conducted for a batch of 16 Odia journalism students to teach them how to contribute to Wikipedia. However, this did not yield much success in terms of editor retention and growth in content. This program was conducted during November 2012 – January 2013 which overlapped the annual examination. Outreach sessions were shorter and could not create much impact in the long gap of one/two months. Most of the students did not contribute much and stopped contributing after the closure program. Based on the learning from the first education program the second one was re-structured focussing on having more of student's time, keeping day long sessions for better engagement, using social media for keeping regular touch with the new editors post workshop, fostering editors on-wiki using Chatasabha (Odia Wikipedia's help desk). Odia Wikimedia community also celebrated the 10th anniversary in the campus to create a Wiki-vibe. Though the number of articles created are not significantly high there is some level of retention in the second phase in both editor and content growth. Because of other campus activities the second session was delayed for a month that created a long gap and the editors did not contribute during that time. There was no strong support system in place during the first session which also resulted in building poor existing-new editor relation. In a one year program at IIMC there is always a chance of low output when a strong engagement system is in place.
- ↑ "The Sambad". P. 17 (26 July 2013)