Ig Wikidata Hub
IG WIKIDATA HUB is a community of Wikimedians that are committed to promoting the Wikidata project in Nigeria. The group is currently the Wikidata Arm of the Igbo_Wikimedians_User_Group. The group is open to collaborations with other organizations and Usergroups to promote Wikidata awareness and involvement in Nigeria. It is an open membership group available to all interested individuals at any level.
After the 2019 wiki-Indaba that was held in Nigeria, Benedict Udeh realised there were few Nigerians who were involved in the Wikimedia movement and even fewer knew what Wikidata was all about. He then took it upon himself to train his community Igbo Wikimedians User Group on everything Wikidata. He started with a group project Wikidata for all which was aimed at increasing Wikidata's participation, Promoting integration between Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects as well as improve Nigerian content on Wikidata. The project turned out to be a huge success and in his attempt to solidify on the gains of the project, a new project Wikidata for all 2.0 was proposed and approved.
Inspired by the huge impact and great feedback that the projects gathered; Ben made a decision to expand the scope of work and enshrine the objectives which included massive campaigns to recruit/train new Wikidata editors in Nigeria with the aim to build a community focused on promoting the Wikidata project in Nigeria. To achieve this, New edit-a-thon projects were proposed and approved. Participants from these projects birthed the Ig-wikidata-Hub Whatsapp group.
- To promote awareness of The Wikidata Project in Nigeria and recruiting new editors.
- To promote the development of structured data among Nigerian editors by utilizing Wikidata.
- To promote editing of Wikidata projects in Nigeria by organizing events and activities.
- To establish the development of Wikidata projects in the various Nigerian languages.
- To equip editors in Nigerian with the skill and ability for the continuous development of Wikidata projects.
This Group holds and support the following activities:
- Meetings: the group organises meet-ups for its members in order to exchange ideas and to find ways to support them to continue editing the projects in areas where they would need help.
- Trainings/Edit-a-thons: to help new Wikimedians learn editing techniques, to create, translate and improve content in the Wikidata project or work on and develop a certain topic which will in return promote the project.
- Editing contests: the group also organises editing contests to encourage existing regular editors to keep editing the Wikidata projects and also encourage non-members/users to join.
Upcoming Events edit
Our next live Event will be posted Here
To reach the broader group, you are welcome to post a message on the group talk page that is actively monitored by several members.
If you'd like to correspond by email, please reach out to Benedict Udeh -