How to use Wikipedia
This page is a space to brainstorm and plan on what could be put on a poster to instruct secondary school students on proper use of Wikipedia in their studies and the classroom.
- A great starting point, but not the ending point for research.
- Don't cite Wikipedia – not because it's Wikipedia, but because it's an encyclopedia.
- Wikipedia used by top cultural institutions - Archivist of the United States, Smithsonian Institution, et al.
- Medical schools, most consulted medical source
What to watch for
- Quality of lead section, grammar
- Peacock terms, promotional language or exaggeration - best, outstanding, legendary, unparalleled, et al.
- Number of citations per paragraph
- Article rating
- Warning banners at the top or in sections, [ctiation needed] warnings
- Lack of blue colored links
- Talk page discussion/warnings
- Using reference section, external links
- Inspecting metadata - edits and number of editors, traffic report