Hardware donation program/علاء
Your contact informationEdit
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
Explain your planEdit
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you.
- Currently I use my old (more than 4 years) laptop to contribute on Wikimedia projects. I created my account in October 2010, and I have been active (on a regular basis) since December 2014. I am currently a steward on Meta-wiki, bureaucrat, sysop and checkuser on Arabic Wikipedia, sysop on Wikidata and sysop on Arabic Wikibooks. I serve also as an OTRS member. Over the years, I have made more than 300K edits on Wikimedia wikis.
- As a medical student I need my laptop for few things related to my specialization, so I'm using 95% of my laptop capability for Wikimedia projects, for example:
- I am one of the members of Arabic Wikipedia's social networking team, that's the team that manages the official accounts of Arabic Wikipedia on Facebook, youtube, Instagram and Twitter, so I'm using several programmes for this purpose, like programmes to schedule posts, create videos for youtube (e.g this and this) and create images for other official accounts.
- I also run my bot, AlaaBot, on several wikis to do various maintenance tasks, so I'm using different programmes for the purpose, like AWB, PuTTY and WinSCP, and in addition I've many codes saved on my laptop.
- I attended and helped in the organization of many Wikimedia-related events. For example, I helped in the organization of WikiArabia 2017, and I used my laptop to make a live broadcast of this event (note that many programs are required for this purpose, because I broadcast from my external professional camera).
- I'm one of two active members on Arabic Wikipedia Graphics Lab, until now I translated more than 150 images.
- I create few learning-videos for ar.wiki community about Wikipedia tools and additions.
- I learned (and still) many users who to use Wikidata tools, especially, quickStatements and wikidata game.
- Estimatedly, I found around 300 gigabyte (programmes and files- photos, documents, videos..etc) realted to Wikimedia projects.
So, my laptop can't deal with all of this tasks, and my main graphic card and CPUs will die soon as I notice. So if WMF can give me a powerful laptop (as my laptop Core i3), it will be too easier for me to deal with all of this tasks and things that demand many hours to render with my actual laptop.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- Wikipedia, commons, Meta, Wikidata, Wikibooks and Wikiversity.
- ar, en and ckb.
Work you're proud ofEdit
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
Sorry, I mentioned most of them above on Explain your plan section.
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING THIS ON BEHALF OF A WIKIMEDIA AFFILIATE (i.e. to be owned by a Wikimedia affiliate rather than an individual), please type your affiliate name below, and add a link to your affiliate's public equipment tracking page.
- Affiliate name
- Public equipment tracking page
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.