Ez egy piszkozat. További információkat a vitalapon találhatsz.Fordítási adminisztrátoroknak: Általánosságban ne jelölj piszkozatokat fordításra.
This page is a descriptive article on the Greek Wikipedia, feel free to add any comment.
Started: December 2002, some page histories show content edited in 2001 because of article imports from English
Jelenlegi méret: 227 474 szócikk
Összes szerkesztés: 10 276 935
Aktív szerkesztők: 897 az elmúlt hónapban
- Areas of strength
- Strong coverage about Greece and the Greek-speaking world
- Good coverage of topics about Europe, as well a good quality standard in the articles
- Rapid growth of the community, in contrast with many other European Wikipedias
- Areas of weakness
- Low amount of contributors from Cyprus
- Lack of many articles about Cyprus, but also for many countries of Asia, Africa and America.
- Few contributors from outside Greece and Cyprus and general, despite the great communities of Greek speakers abroad, in countries such as Germany, United States and Australia.
- Missing sources and neutrality problems in a few articles.
- Who is the competitor?
- Livepedia (it has shut down since 2018, thus Greek Wikipedia hasn't any competitor)
- There also a few mirror sites.
- Papyros Larousse Encyclopedia, greek translation of Great Soviet Encyclopedia and many other print encyclopedias.
- Modest growth in underage users, mostly after 2017
- May 2006 - 10,000 articles were reached
- In 9 April 2014 100,000 articles were reached and 200,000 in 27 November 2021.
- What has its impact been?
- Cooperation among Greek-speaking users have built an encyclopedia with a good quality standard. It is also widely used by Greek- speaking users and articles of el-WP are frequently copied in the media, as an addition to related news items.
- What language features are challenging?
- There aren't language features that are challenging, mostly alternate spellings of words, which are both allowed.
- What would surprise the outside reader about the community?
- The lack of many articles about Ancient Greece.
- Community makeup - As of January 2022, approximately 85-90% from Greece, some 3-5% from Cyprus. The rest are from various countries, such as Germany, US, UK, Australia, France and other countries (e.g. Netherlands).
- Wikimedia Community User Group Greece (existing). Considered to be converted to Wikimedia Greece, there isn't however a chapter for Cyprus (or a user group at least).
- What are some unique practices/characteristics?
- A policy about team supporters' edit wars, see this page for more information (in Greek).
- Who were the earliest participants, who started it?
- Other prominent Wikipedians?