Grants:PEG/WM RS/Wikipedia in Schools 2012-2013
- This project is part of our Annual Plan. We put it as a separate grant, because we believe that decision will be faster then for Annual.
- Legal name of chapter or nonchapter group
- Wikimedia Serbia
- Grant contact name
- Ivan Matejić
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Board member
- Project lead name
- Ivan Matejić
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Co-organizer and Project Lead
- Full project name
- Wikipedia in Schools
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- September 1 2012
- Provisional completion date
July 1 20131 August 2013
- Working material*: €200
- Promotional material for students*: €800
- Communication and transport expenses: €150
- Other: €100
- Total: €1,250.00 (US$1,548.91)
* Working material is needed for preparation and project realization: pens, notebooks, papers, folders, etc.
Wikimedia Serbia has long-standing relationships with educational institutions. So far this cooperation has been realized as a series of lectures about Wikipedia. Through seminal work, in consultation with teachers and assistants, students were tasked to write assignments as articles on Serbian Wikipedia, following its principles and respecting the rules.
This is the list of successful cooperations:
- Petnica Physics (Jun 1st 2012)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering Belgrade (May 2012)
- Faculty of Organizational Sciences Belgrade (April and May 2012)
- Faculty of Organizational Sciences Belgrade (December 2011)
- Faculty of Organizational Sciences Belgrade (April and May 2011)
- Faculty of Organizational Sciences Belgrade (December 2010)
- Faculty of Philology Belgrade 2006/2007
- Faculty of Physical Chemistry 2006/2007
- Faculty of Philology Belgrade 2007/2008
- Faculty of Mathematics 2007/2008
- 7th Belgrade Gymnasium (April-June 2012)
This projects resulted in hundreds of new articles on Wikipedia and lots of students working on them.
- Local goals:
The continuation of cooperation with educational institutions will enhance our educative program, attract new users and increase quality and quantity of articles on Wikipedia. Besides quality and quantity, Wikipedia will remain in educational institutions as a platform for sharing free knowledge.
Cooperation will also positively affect the type of volunteers which participate in realisation of the project. Successful results are also personal success and impulse for further work.
- Global goals:
Increasing of quality and quantity of certain Wikipedia is firstly a success for users of that project, but also for global community. Every local educational program improves and gives legitimacy to global educational programs, which work on introducing Wikimedia projects in educational institutions.
Every global and local goals are directly or indirectly related with mission and vision of Wikimedia movement and Wikimedia Foundation itself.
Project scope and list of activitiesEdit
Based on previous experiences and partnerships, WMRS has already started negotiations with several educational institutions: Faculty of Organizational Sciences, 7th Belgrade Gymnasium, Faculty of Mathematics, Faculty of Machine Engineering.
For the first time this year, WMRS started cooperating with the Belgrade Youth Office, which will give us their venue and technical equipment for usage. Their venue is also available for “open schools’’ for all interested citizens between ages of 15 and 30, who would like to know something about Wikipedia.
Preparations for realisation of this project started earlier this year. Until now, we had meetings with all mentioned institutions above and Belgrade Youth Office, we expected standard number of people from WMRS involved in this project, and that is between 6-8 individuals. We will continue negotiations with other institutions. That negotiations, except on joining, are based on picking up and creating model of work. We have students with age difference, so programs and workshops are adjusted to them. Existing concept of co-operation was based on dividing students in a few groups. Than, that groups had theoretical and practical workshops. Professors with our help choose topic for writings. Students had fixed period of time for writing article, and after it they had available consultations and giving advices.
During September the realisation of the program in 7th Belgrade Gymnasium will start. Roughly few dozen (30-50) students, divided in several groups, will write articles on Wikipedia on different topics.
Also, first week of September is reserved for “open school’’ in Belgrade Youth Office. The cooperation with faculties is starting in October and it will last for two semesters (until June 2013).
During these negotiations, we will find out what project models will be realised. Based on consultations so far, it will probably be writing articles on certain topics.
Badges for students.
Fit to strategyEdit
Educational program will give positive results in the following areas:
- development of educational programs
- enhancing quality of Serbian Wikipedia
- increasing the quantity of articles on Serbian Wikipedia
- improving cooperations with local institutions
- improving cooperations with educational institutions
- improving credibility of Wikimedia of Serbia
- improving credibility of Wikimedia Foundation and its projects
- increasing the number of editors and users on Wikipedia
This project will provide certain number of new articles on Wikipedia. That will increase volume and quality of certain topics. It is good to know that all articles will provide students with help of their professors and assistants, so every sentence will have appropriate bibliographical citations and references. Also, professors and assistants will participate in measuring completeness of articles.
Participation of WMRS in this project builds strong connections with local educational institutions and gives credibility to the mission and vision of WMF and local chapters.
Not for now
Measures of successEdit
Success of this project should be measure through following subjects:
- number of institutions that will cooperate with us
- number of participants
- number of new and/or cleaned-up articles