Grants:PEG/WM PH/Wiki Loves Monuments Exhibit
- Official project name
- 2012 Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines Touring Exhibit
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 15 May 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 30 November 2013
- Please describe this project in 1 - 2 sentences
- A touring exhibit of the winning entries of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012 during the Cultural Heritage Celebrations of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts of the Philippines.
- Currency requested (you must specify a currency)
- PHP (₱)
- Amount requested in currency requested
- ₱ 389,000
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in USD
- ₱40 ≈ $ 1 based on average exchange rate from the National Statistical Coordination Board
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 15 May 2013
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Primary contact name
- Eugene Villar
- Primary contact username or email
- eugene at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Roel Balingit
- Project lead username or email
- roel dot balingit at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Project lead title (position), if any
Goals and measures of successEdit
- This statement describes what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- The goal of the project is to raise awareness about Wiki Loves Monuments and the importance of the documentation of the Philippines' cultural heritage of the Philippines by providing freely-licensed images and uploading them in Wikimedia Commons. At the same time, promote the 2013 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines that. That will add more freely-licensed images of different cultural heritage sites across the country. This project is a follow-up of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012 where more than 1,600 photos were uploaded. Photos of sites which previously didn't have images in Wikimedia Commons. More importantly this would be in collaboration with the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA), which is the umbrella agency of the National Museum, National Historical Commission of the Philippines, Commission on the Filipino Language, which are all being targeted by the chapter to engage in pursuit of GLAM projects and development of Philippine language Wikipedias.
Measures of successEdit
- Provide a list of measurable criteria will you use to determine if your project was successful. You will need to report on the success of your project according to these measures after your project is completed.
- This project would be considered a success once the National Commission and Culture and the Arts (NCCA) would coordinate with Wikimedia Philippines further for future projects.
- To secure the endorsement of the NCCA for the holding of the 2013 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments 2013.
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded.
- List of activites
- What will happen if this project is funded? Who will do what, and when?
- The GLAM-Wiki Project Committee of WMPH has already begun talks of a possible participation in the Cultural Heritage month celebrations for 2013, which was warmly received by the project lead of the NCCA.
- Photos would be printed on sintra boards.
- A whole day exhibit of the winning photos of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012 and possibly the international winners would be held in Cebu City during the Gabii sa Kabilim (Night of Heritage) on May 31.
- Exhibits would also be held in Capul, Northern Samar from July 26–28 and Glan, Sarangani sometime Q4 (no exact date provided yet).
- A photobook featuring the best entries of Wiki Loves Monuments would also be distributed to related institutions for them to recognize the benefit of contributing freely-licensed images which is still largely unpopular among them.
Provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here
Note that grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Publication||WLM 2012 Photobook||1 copy||20||2,500 ($62.50)||50,000 ($1,250)||PHP||The committee has scouted for the best price for the printing of photobooks.|
|2||Transportation||Fare||5 pax||3||12,000 ($300)||180,000 ($4,500)||PHP||The amount is for 3 exhibit locations (Cebu City, Capul, Glan). Transportation includes all fares (airfare, airport terminal fees, land transportation and sea, if necessary). It must be noted that transportation around the Philippines could be costly as various modes of transportation are utilized. Four upto five persons would be needed to help set-up the exhibit and conduct presentations and other preparations. If for any reason the project won't be able to hold the exhibit slated in Cebu on May 31 (due to the proximity of the date), we shall hold another exhibit in Metro Manila during the uploading period in September.|
|3||Accommodation||Standard hotel accommodation||5 pax||8 days||1,500 ($37.50)||60,000 ($1,500)||PHP||The amount per person is for 2 nights in Cebu; 3 nights in Capul; 3 nights in Glan at ₱1,500/pax per night, which are the duration of the exhibit.|
|4||Food||Food allowance||5 pax||11 days||500 ($12.50)||24,000 ($600)||PHP||The amount per person is for 3 days in Cebu; 4 days in Capul; 4 days in Glan at ₱500/pax per day, which are the duration of the exhibit. Hostels are largely not available outside of Manila.|
|5||Printing||Printing of winning photos||1 photo||12||2,500 ($62.50)||30,000 ($750)||PHP||The winning photos would be printed on a 2ft × 3ft sticker on sintraboard.|
|6||Freight||Delivery and return of equipment||1 delivery||6||2,500 ($62.50)||15,000 ($375)||PHP||Equipment would be sent by freight and returned to the 3 exhibit locations and returned to the chapter office after the event.|
|7||Miscellaneous||Meeting expenses||-||-||-||15,000 ($375)||PHP||Meeting and transportation expenses during the planning and coordination of the event with the National Commission on Culture and the Arts|
|8||Miscellaneous||Contingency||-||-||-||15,000||PHP||Supplemental amount should any shortfalls be realized in the above allocations, subject to approval whenever supplemental amount is more than 10% of original allocation.|
- Total project budget
- ₱ 389,000
- Total amount requested
- ₱ 389,000
- Are there additional sources of revenue that will fund any part of this project? List them here.
The chapter will be reusing exhibit equipment and materials that were used during the launch of Wiki Loves Monuments in the Philippines last March 2012. The organizing team of Wiki Loves Monuments which is made up of four core members has proven exceptional dedication in realizing the goals of the project and deems this project instrumental for the success of the re-staging of Wiki Loves Monuments in the country for 2013. We have spoken with the Subcommittee on Cultural Heritage of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts about our possible involvement and they are very interested in our initiative after the success of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012. Please find the 2012 WLM Grant report here.
This section will describe how the proposed project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities. It will also provide information about other benefits to Wikimedia communities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of,
- increasing reach (more people being able to access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more useful content or higher quality existing content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move your chapter or the Wikimedia community as a whole forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help your chapter achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- The project has a two-pronged approach — to establish greater and frequent interaction with the National Commission on Culture and the Arts and promoting Wiki Loves Monuments for 2013. The frequent interaction with the NCCA would provide leverage for the organization in order to obtain accreditation as an organization which intends to showcase the richness of the country's languages, history, culture, arts, heritage, customs and traditions through Wikimedia projects. As the exhibits would be tagging-along the NCCA's heritage celebrations events in the Philippines, it would also involve the communities to grab the opportunity to promote their sites and participate in Wiki Loves Monuments 2013.
- With regard to the organizing team, the same WLM organizing team, plus some student-volunteers from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines who have experience in working with the NCCA will be tapped. The effectiveness of the team is seen during the execution of Wii Loves Monuments in the Philippines in 2012 (see the report here.)
- If your project will benefit a specific online community, please list that here. For example, English Wiktionary.
- This shall benefit Wikimedia Commons as it will also promote Wiki Loves Monuments for 2013.
- Provide a brief statement (about 1 paragraph) about how your project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. Does your project fit into a work area such as GLAM, Education, Organization Development, Editor Retention, or Outreach?
- Wikimedia Philippines was recognized as a chapter of WMF in 2010 and has successively implemented projects to further the reach of the movement in the country. This project is a significant step in diversifying outside the Manila where majority of the members are based. This particular project is part of GLAM-Wiki efforts in the country and is a continuation of Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 and a precursor to its 2013 edition.
- If successful, does your project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1 - 2 sentences.
- The strategy employed by the chapter may be unique to the Philippines as it's a country where the reputation of an organization hinges on the recognition government agencies provide. The chapter has taken bold steps of directly engaging government agencies for projects that would similarly promote their objectives. The chapter has to find its way by initiating these projects in order to gain the recognition granted by these government agencies to gain a wider audience and be deemed a reputable organization.