Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Czech Municipalities Photographs
- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Česká republika
- Grant contact name
- Petr Novák
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Petr Brož
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Chapters member
- Full project name
- Czech Municipalities Photographs
- Amount requested (in USD)
- USD 2 500
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
- Transition approved
- 2011-06-30 --Eloquence 22:22, 14 July 2010 (UTC) Note: this grant will be consolidated into a new 2010/11 grant that supports Media projects in CZ --Bnewstead 00:53, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
- 10 participants
- 10 journeys per person
- USD 25 per journey on average
Czech Wikipedia currently contains articles (stubs at least) about all 6249 municipalities in the Czech Republic (and many other significant objects around/in them), but only about one third of those have any photographs. Many have been covered by "WikiProjekt Fotografování" on cswiki, which has been quite successful (see cs:Wikipedie:WikiProjekt Fotografování/Foto Brno), but still most of the pictures come from towns where Wikipedia photographers live. The objective of this project is to support creation of freely licensed photos of Czech municipalities (and associated landmarks) through funding reasonable travel expenses of volunteer photographers.
The goal of this project is to provide freely licensed photos of Czech munipalities, castles, nature reserves, rivers, creeks and other landmarks that were not available before.
There's no additional support needed from WMF. We presume that participants will be using their own equipment, similarly to current photography project on Czech Wikipedia.
Fit to strategyEdit
The project will provide new photographs to accompany Wikipedia articles about Czech Republic, thus increasing their quality, as well as other projects that benefit from freely available media.
We hope this project will show what kind of photos are best usable for Wikipedia articles, which is a benefit that will help Wikipedia even after the project is over. We also believe that funding will attract more Wikipedia contributors to photography projects.
Measures of successEdit
We will consider this project a success if we get free photos 400 of new municipalities/landmarks (that will be 1000-1500 photos in total), or corresponding numbers while using proportionally less money.