Welcome back from Wikimania 2018!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- To share your experience with my local community, I made a Post on the official Meta wiki of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group, so they could learn what I did at the conference and utilize those learnings for various projects. In addition to that, I had an online meetup with some community members and shared about my Wikimania experience.
- Jack Rabbah from WMF with whom I presented the session "Working towards Growing Local Language Content on Wikipedia (GLOW)" which was a session on Project Tiger that was a three month long project by Wikimedia Foundation in collaboration with the Centre for Internet and Society (CIS), Wikimedia India chapter (WMIN), user groups and Google to enrich the content of Wikipedia in Indic languages. As the organizer and jury from the winning Wiki Community (Punjabi Wikipedia),I presented how the project impacted the community dynamics and the learnings we had consecutively from the project. Around 30 Wikimedians attended the session.
- Had a meeting with Florence Devouard and Rosie regarding my upcoming Wikimedia projects in India.
- Stella and Felix from Ghana community who shared their GLAM projects about National Archives in a panel in one of the GLAM sessions.
- Sandra (WMF) shared about Wikimedia Commons and the GLAM needs around the world and that was particularly insightful specially for my community GLAM projects that I am currently leading.
- Remote participation with Olaniyan Olushola from Nigeria User Group during the ongoing radio interview of Maria Cruz.
- I attended Pre-conference participatory workshop sessions on program design, evaluation, resources, learning, & community engagement for folks working to implement programmatic and community engagement activities in their home communities.
- I participated in Asian Wiki Meetup where we discussed several projects and conferences including Wikipedia Asian Month.
- I hosted Wiki Loves Love Meetup where various ideas were pitched regarding the Wikimedia Commons Contest to happen in February 2019 and 35 people from various communities around the globe participated for the planning of this international contest and movement to spread more love and enrich Wiki projects with rich multimedia content.
- I was on panel of Introducing Wikipedia to New Readers for the Punjabi Wikimedia Awareness campaign movie I am working on under this WMF initiative and around 75 people attended this session.
- Met Ananya Model and we discussed about Wiki Loves Butterfly and how Wikimedia Commons Projects should be organized
- I met Kui Kinyanjui from Communication Team during Wiki Women Lunch who was introduced by Maria Cruz, Wmf.
- I met Zack, Alex Stinson and Bence Damokos and had productive discussions regarding various Wikimedia Initiatives.
It was my first time attending Wikimania and it was like stepping into the whirlwind of knowledge and pool of beautiful projects our fellow Wikimedians displayed with various sessions and lightening talks! I had opportunity to present lightening talk about the work my community has been doing about Bridging gender gap on Punjabi Wikipedia and have collaborations with African Communities for the upcoming projects we will be working in the near future.
I also interviewed Dr. Martin Dittus for Wikimedia blog where he talked about his work of Knowledge Equity and Spatial Justice on Wikipedia and Samuel Guebo who talked about what the Wikimedia movement meant to African community and shared his thoughts about knowledge equity theme of Wikimania.
It was beautiful, it was colorful and it was overwhelming blend of beauty, knowledge and experience of different communities and cultures from all around the globe. Thank You Wikimedia Foundation and organizing committee for giving us an experience of lifetime.
Lightening Talk on Bridging Gender Gap on PunjabiEdit
Other Media LinksEdit
Punjabi Wikipedia Tales - A Trip To Lahore!