Welcome back from Wikimania 2017!
Wikimania 2017 was my eight Wikimania and was a valuable opportunity to make connections and talk with others members of our community. My main goal in addition to learn and share experiences, was increase the insights and feedback to increase more ways of diversity into the Wikimedia movement, a sort of continuity of the reflections and results from Iberoconf 2017 and the Buenos Aires Letter.
WikiConference North AmericaEdit
The first part of my participation was the Wikimedia North America Conference 2017. Among with my colleague Salvador Alcántar we presented a status of the activities of Wikimedia Mexico chapter as a part of the conference's programme. A big applause was given by the audience because the World Guinness Record won by WMMX and Museo Soumaya and the Metro of Mexico City commemorative ticket that will be issued soon! Wikimedia Mexico was invited by WikiConNA team to host in Mexico City the conference in 2019. Also I joined the previous Culture Crawl and attended a variety of sessions.
During Wikimania, I received the invitation from the Organizing Committee to be a moderator in the Lightning talks rounds, but last minute changes gave me the honor to be the moderator on two of the main sessions of the event, the Wikimedia 2030 closing panel on Friday and the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees question and answers session. It was a personal challenge for me specially because English is not my native language and for being in a very visible role in two sessions that are well attended.
Also was formalized my role in the Wikimania 2018 Committee as Diversity advisor, so we had several meetings between members of the South Africa Committee, Wikimania Committee and the closing session Future of Wikimania. As a member of Conference Grants Committee, I had a meeting about the coming months budget with Kacie Harold and James Hare.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- As a result of the mentioned effort to increase the diversity in the Wikimedia movement, I had this activities as new activities:
- Talks with Asian, MENA and African representatives to strength links with Iberocoop chapters aiming to have in the future a "Global South Council" or an initiative to gather Wikimedia organizations that are not part from Europe/US.
- I was involved in the organization of a meeting between Iberocoop and MENA's wikimedians, but at the very end I can't attend but the meeting was successful. We will organize a contest.
- Meeting with Wikimania 2018 Committee to do advocacy about more diversity representation in future Wikimanias
- Meeting with WMF's Ellie Young to do advocacy about more diversity representation in future Wikimanias, specifically Translation and Inclusion ideas in the context of the Buenos Aires Letter.
- Meeting with WMF's staff about Buenos Aires Letter following.
- I met with many people from Wikimedia community and Wikimedia Foundation including: Katherine Maher, Cristophe Henner, María Sefidari, Juliet Barbara, Samantha Klein, Anasuya Sengupta, Siko Bouterse, Mervat Salman, David Richfield, Douglas Ian Scott, Pax Aimsa Gethen, User:Fuzheado, User:Wittylama, Amir Aharoni, Benoit Rochon, Lodewijk, Rohini Lakshané, User:Psubhashish,Deryck Chan, Liang-Chih Shangkuan, Camelia Bobin, Vassia Atanassova, Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, Andrew Lih.
- I attended as president of my chapter the Chairpersons meeting.
- I talked with other attendees from the free and open world as Ryan Merkley and Claudio Ruiz from Creative Commons and Eddie Avila from Global Voices.
- Also I was the organizer of Iberocoop's meeting and I attended as Wikimedia Mexico representative.
- Photos of me during Wikimania in Wikimedia Commons.
- Photos by me from Wikiconference North America and Montreal
I had to reduce my participation both in the Wikimedia North America conference and in Wikimanía itself due to a foot injury from Wednesday, so my mobility was very affected. Due to this I had to cancel some participations and meetings :(
Wikipedia creation articlesEdit
- As a personal tradition, I always create Spanish Wikipedia articles of the surrounding areas of the events or the accommodation places. This time was the Vendôme metro station.
- Paying homage to the African continent and its Wikimedia communities, I started the challenge #100AfricaDays, prior to the realization of Wikimania in Cape Town, where I will write 100 new articles about Africa on Spanish Wikipedia.
My heartfelt thanks to the Wikimedia Foundation for the opportunity to serve Wikimania this year!