Welcome back from Wikimania 2017!
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- In the hackathon, I worked on some requests from the Wikisource community (specifically Bengali) and made two tools. The first was a localization of the Wikisource contest vote counter tool, which was used to calculate the results of Bengali Wikisource 10th Anniversary Contest. This was being done manually using Quarry before. At the moment, I'm working on a frontend on the Tool Labs and localization to more languages.
- The second tool was a simpler downloader for the books listed in the Endangered Archives of the British Library. The existing tool forced users to download every book in one go, which is difficult in places without very reliable internet. At the moment, my tool allows downloading a specific book from a list, and it will be fairly simple to allow a list of books from different collections in the future. At the moment, there are some issues preventing direct upload to Commons, mainly related to somewhat poor quality (only JPEG available) and a requirement for cropping.
- Both the tools are available on my Github: here. In addition to this, I worked on some bugs on Phabricator.
I met a lot of Wikimedians in Wikimania, and also joined in two meetups - one for the SAARC region, and other for Wikimedians in Asia. The meetups provided a nice opportunity to learn and share ideas with other Wikimedians in Asia. Outside of meetups, I was able to interact with my steward colleagues, and people from many countries, including people involved in crosswiki work.
- SAARC meetup: Around 10-12 Wikimedians from the SAARC region participated in this meetup. The primary topics discussed were conferences in the SAARC region, and initiatives by the various communities in the region.
- Wikimedia Asia meetup: This meetup had around 25 Wikimedians, and the primary focus was on collaboration between various communities / chapters in Asia for Wikimedia projects. Wikipedia Asian month was discussed as an example of successful collaboration, and the possibility of organizing a conference for the Asia region was also discussed.