Welcome back from Wikimania 2016!
The Uzbek Wikipedia
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
I plan to give a series of presentations about the Wikimedia projects at all of the high schools in my hometown of Isfana. Currently the schools are on summer break. The schools here start in the fall.
Incidentally, after returning home from Wikimania 2014 I presented about Wikipedia and its sister projects at seven high schools in Isfana. A total of 500 students attended my presentations. The students learned much about using and contributing to various projects of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants worked on at the Hackathon, or to pages created in a workshop you participated in).
At the conference I found out about 100wikidays. I accepted the challenge and so far have created 25 new articles on the Uzbek Wikipedia. Since the Uzbek Wikipedia has only a dozen articles on books, I've decided to create articles solely about books.
At the conference I gave a presentation about collaborating with media outlets to promote Wikimedia projects. I was really happy to see that Jimmy Wales personally showed up to attend my presentation. Overall, close to 50 people came to listen to my talk.
In Esino Lario I met a lot of great people with whom I have kept in touch. I also attended the Turkic wikis meet-up. We shared best practices and discussed paths for future cooperation.
This year's conference was truly amazing. A big thanks to the Wikimedia Foundation for the scholarship. I would also like to thank the conference organizers for doing a great job.
- Working with the Media to Promote Wikimedia Projects: The Case of the Uzbek Wikipedia (Commons category)
- Working with the Media to Promote Wikimedia Projects: The Case of the Uzbek Wikipedia (Prezi presentation)
- Working with the Media to Promote Wikimedia Projects: The Case of the Uzbek Wikipedia (YouTube video)