Welcome back from Wikimania 2014!
- Shared Experience:
- Forthcoming: In my role as a contributing editor for the New Media Consortium, I will be sharing a recap of Wikimania on the nmc.org website.
- New Creation:
- - I created the GLAM-Wiki Global Facebook Community as a result of a GLAM Meetup at Wikimania.
- - We also discussed next steps in the global GLAM community that will improve our monthly communication and moving forward with the next GLAM-Wiki Conference.
- - I was happy to share my research on Open Authority with 30 to 50 attendees. The Wikipedia community inspired me to pursue my thesis topic, and though I've been presenting on it for years, this was my first opportunity to present it to Wikipedians. I received great questions about my insight into broader shifts in the perception of openness in the cultural sector. Attendees were enthusiastic and engaged with the topic, and seemed to get a lot out of the discussion. I had numerous people approach me following my talk, wanting to learn more and feeling inspired to move forward. This is exactly why, no matter how busy I may get with everyday life, I keep moving forward with my research.
- - I had the opportunity to meet with Lila, our new Executive Director, to share about the state of GLAM-Wiki in the US and globally. I hope that this helped orient her to our needs and our role in the broader movement.
- - Wikimania was a fantastic opportunity to connect with GLAM-Wiki community members who have been active over the past two years, some of whom I had not met before. Having been one of the first Wikipedians in Residence, it's always amazing to see how many others have been empowered to make a difference in the GLAM sector in the past years.
- - I reconnected with a fellow open culture advocate who introduced me to a like-minded researcher who will help me progress my work on Open Authority.