Welcome back from Wikimania 2018!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
I don't use blog, but shared many things from my experience by many ways, e.g:
- My report in Arabic Wikipedia.(In progress)
- I participated in a side discussion about "users who asks to write paid article about you", and I shared the discussion summary (I wrote it) in aitnews website, and until now there's more than 61K views.
- Video I talked in it about my experience in Wikimania18, made by
- I am one of the members of Arabic Wikipedia's social networking team. That's the team that manages the official accounts of Arabic Wikipedia, so during Wikimania I shared posts in these accounts:
- Facebook: Posts about the Hackathon and the opening ceremony
- Instagram: Post about the Hackathon
- Twitter: Posts about the Hackathon, the opening ceremony, during event "What tools do we need for small Wikis to increase content and quality?" and Medicine Track at Wikimania + I retweeted some posts of WikiArabia account about Wikimania18.
Wikimania 2018 was my second Wikimania, and I Met lots of people varying from WMF Staff, developers, stewards, and community member I would never met if I wasn't at Wikimania. I took around 40 photos in Wikimania, and I uploaded all photos in here (I've around 300 photos for Capetown, I'll upload it soon after some edits in lighting, saturation ...etc + around 200 personal photos for several wikipedians, but I sent it privately).
I'll try to mention people who I met, but of course I can't remember everyone (if you met me, but you are missing from the list, it's probably that I forgot your username):
Also, I talked/discussed some topics with many users and we are trying to follow up to apply it practically, for example I talked with:
- we try to fix the didden images template problem. about Wikipedia Phone version and the problems that faces Arabic users (and readers) with it. For example,
- the growth team. about new editor retention,(very interesting talk and discussion) and I shared our experience with new editors in Arabic Wikipedia. Also, I talked with others from
- WikiMed porject in arwiki and Template translator tool in arwiki. about our efforts in
- (light talk) about "the mobile editors".
- about Arab-Israeli conflict articles on Wikipedia and how to make it neutral.
- Wiki Video. I endorse this project. about
- Arabic WikiMed - Offline Medical Wikipedia App, and other cooperations that will take place in the near future. about
- Bridges Across Cultures, and I'll participate with them in the technical side in the second version of Bridges Across Cultures. about
- to organize an Arabic Hour call every month.
- about WikiMaster app, and to organize a WikiMaster Egypt Contest this year to engage and enlarge the use of Wikipedia and get more students involved in creating questions and articles in Arabic.
- about the algorithm they work in it and to help them in it to improve cross-lingual content in Wikipedia.
Moreover, I presented in Medicine Track at Wikimania about the WikiProject Medicine in Arabic Wikipedia, and you can found my here. And I helped in the table of Egypt Wikimedians user group at the Community Village, and in Book Swapping.
Also, we (me + Arabic Happy Birthday song .+ Stephane) celebrated (very simply) the birthday of (We sang
I attended several:
- Meetups, but I was excited for Wikimedia Asia meetup and Wiki Arabia Meetup
- Events like "What tools do we need for small Wikis to increase content and quality?" and "Diglossia and Multilingualism: A help or a Hindrance to Arabic Wikipedians?"
- Lightning talks.
Finally, many users helped me to solve some problems that I faced in IRC, AWB, Phabricator ..etc, and in the same time, I helped many users in many problems they faced, either by solve it by myself or direct the user to who can help him/her.
Group photo of Stewards who attended