Grants:Regions/Middle East and Africa
This funding region includes the following countries:
Africa: Algeria; Angola; Benin; Botswana; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cameroon; Cape Verde; Chad; Comoros; Ivory Coast; Djibouti; Egypt; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Ethiopia; Gabon; The Gambia; Ghana; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; Libya; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mauritania; Mauritius; Morocco; Mozambique; Namibia; Niger; Nigeria; Republic of the Congo; Rwanda; São Tomé and Príncipe; Senegal; Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Somalia; South Africa; South Sudan; Sudan; Eswatini; Tanzania; Central African Republic; Democratic Republic of the Congo; Togo; Tunisia; Uganda; Zambia; Zimbabwe
Middle East: Iran, Iraq, Jordan, State of Palestine, Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
Upcoming Round 2 (2022-23)
- Applicant proposal support starts: February 6, 2023
- Submission deadline: March 10, 2023
- Eligibility check: February 6 - March 10, 2023
- Application translation: March 10 - March 17, 2023
- Review process starts: March 27, 2023
- Feedback received: April 13, 2023
- Engaging with feedback: April 13 - April 28, 2023
- Decisions announced: May 11, 2023
- Agreement signed: May 5 - May 19, 2023
- First payment sent: May 19 - June 1, 2023
- Midterm report due: January 15, 2024
- Final report due: July 31, 2024
- Yearly report due for multi-year funds: August 15, 2024
Please reach out to your Program Officer if you are interested in applying before making any application or if you need flexibility on dates.
If you want to apply or if have any questions about the Rapid Fund, please reach out to the Regional Program Officer at: mea_rapid wikimedia.org
General Support FundEdit
If you have any questions about the General Support Fund, please reach out to the Regional Program Officer at: mea_fund wikimedia.org
Office hours are available for questions, comments, and any general support around our funding programs in the region. Please review the table below for information and links to these meetings:
|Date||Time||Language||Topic||Grantee Partner Type||Link to meeting|
|August 4th 2022||5 p.m - 6 p.m UTC||English & Arabic||MENA Region Conversation Hour: Grants Funding Program - the Middle East and North Africa Community||Open to community members in the Middle East and North Africa region interested in learning about grant funding programs||Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 872 1036 1727
|August 17th 2022||3 p.m - 4 p.m UTC||English||MEA Region Conversation Hour: Grants Funding Program - Hausa Wikimedians||Open to community members in the Hausa Wikimedians User Group interested in learning about grant funding programs||Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 874 6899 4589
|August 18th 2022||4p.m -5 p.m UTC||English, French & Arabic||MEA Conversation Hour: Grant Funding Programs - General Support Funding - Round 1||Open to community members in the Middle East and Africa Region interested in Applying to the General Support Fund - Round 1 with the September 9th Deadline||Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 874 6899 4589
|August 20th 2022||11 a.m - 12 Noon UTC||English||MEA Region Conversation Hour: Grants Funding Program - Naija Office Hour||Open to community members participating in the Naija Office Hour and interested in learning about grant funding programs||Details shared by Naija Office Hour Organizers|
|September 1st 2022||4p.m -5 p.m UTC||English, French & Arabic||MEA Conversation Hour: Grant Funding Programs - General Support Funding - Round 1||Open to community members in the Middle East and Africa Region interested in Applying to the General Support Fund - Round 1 with the September 9th Deadline||Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 874 6899 4589
- Yamen, August 2021 - I'm a Collateral and Asset Management business expert from Tunisia. Co-founder of the Wikimedia Tunisia User Group, the Wiki World Heritage User Group and the Wikiarabia regional conference. A former member of Wikimania 2021 COR team.
- Azogbonon, August 2021 - Engage in the promotion of free knowledge, the development of Beninese and African content (history, culture, men and women, etc.).
- Aristidek5maya, August 2021 - I am a photography consultant and professional image reporter in working life. As a Wikimedian, I am a volunteer trainer and head of the Wikiquote project within Wikimedia Cote d'Ivoire. Finally, I am President and co-founder of an NGO which fights for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in Côte d'Ivoire.
- Mwintirew, August 2021 - I am Harriet Henry Bayel from Ghana. I am an open advocate who is very passionate about volunteerism and bridging the digital gender gap. Open Knowledge, women and youth empowerment are matters of great concern to me.
- Joy_Agyepong, August 2021 - I am a Social Entrepreneur and Director with Fact Lens Gh in Ghana. I am also a Co-founder with an environmentally oriented NGO and Team Lead with Wiki Hour Initiative.
- Ptinphusmia, August 2021 -
- Kaizenify, August 2021 - I’m a professional and well travelled photographer with various photography exhibitions. On the Wikimedia project, I bridge gender/minority gaps on Wikipedia by leading various gender/minority edit a thons and also the program strategist for the Wikimedia Nigeria Usergroup.
- Tebhogho, August 2021 - Tebhogho is Librarian at the University of Botswana. Enjoy contributing on gender gap issues. I have participated in the AfLIA #1lib1ref campaigns since 2020. I also hold other volunterring responsibilities within the wikimedia movement that include:
- Ndahiro_derrick, August 2021 -
- CaliBen, August 2021 - I am an Information Technology expert from Tanzania. I am the founder of the Wikimedia Community Arusha, Community Liason for The AfroCine Project, and a certified trainer for Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom program.
- Fjmustak, August 2021 - I'm a Palestinian volunteer editor on Wikipedia from Jerusalem, founding member and former treasurer of Wikimedians of the Levant User Group and a member of the Arabic Wikimedians User Group.I have been a Wikimedian since 2005, editing both the English and Arabic Wikipedias. I have a passion for the free dissemination of knowledge. Most recently, I have been coordinating activities of the Wikipedia Education Program in Palestine, at both the high school and university levels.
- NANöR, September 2021 - I'm from Syria and living in Sweden. I'm a geologist and have a master's degree in Palynology from Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris.I'm a volunteer editor on Arabic Wikipedia where I created my account in July 2019. My contributions are very various between: Biology, Art, Geology, Currency, History and Movies, but I most focus on lists and featured lists. I believe on teamwork and encourage it by creating and participating in workshops.
Wikimedia Community FundEdit
Rapid Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22 (MEA)
General Support FundEdit
General Support Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2022-23, Round 2 (MEA)
General Support Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2022-23, Round 1 (MEA)
General Support Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22, Round 2 (MEA)
General Support Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22, Round 1 (MEA)
Wikimedia Alliances FundEdit
Wikimedia Alliances Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2022-23, Round 2 (MEA)
Wikimedia Alliances Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2022-23, Round 1 (MEA)
Wikimedia Alliances Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22, Round 2 (MEA)
Wikimedia Alliances Funds - Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22, Round 1 (MEA)