What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
The purpose is to further develop the Wikimedia projects expanding the number of contributors and consolidating the experience using a minority language (Asturian) in a rural setting (Bimenes) with an older population. I want to develop a pilot project for future collaborations in Cider Commonwealth area.
What is your solution?Edit
Inside Spain, there have been a number of successful collaboration efforts, but this provides a unique opportunity in Asturias to create a long-term collaboration in Asturian language with rural population. This is not the first collaboration with Bimenes since in June of 2016 I realized a training workshop on Wikipedia that was attended by several neighbors and the mayor of the locality. After contacting the local institutions they are willing to free as much content as their legal department allows them, including old documents, pictures or recordings.
Is this grant being requested by an organization, a group, or an individual?
Which existing Wikimedia projects and language versions will be better served or impacted as a result of this project?
Mainly Asturian and Spanish Wikipedia, but will involve other wikimedia projects (Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource and WikiVoyage) and, maybe, other languages.
- Develop a new collaboration with institutions and people of Bimenes to improve and increase the available content and media of this municipality with a free license in several Wikimedia projects.
- Involve a rural population and encourage them to participate in Wikimedia projects using their minority language. This fact is important because Bimenes is the only municipality where the Asturian is official (De facto) with much support from the population.
- Casa les radios (The Radio House) The Radio House is located in an avant-garde building in Suares. The exhibition consists of two unique collections (including Marconi or Edison radios), one collected by José Alonso Onís and ceded by the municipality of Oviedo, which, according to inventory, consists of 340 pieces (phonographs, jukeboxes, microphones, records, etc.) and one collected by the Suares Neighbourhood Association, consisting of 144 receivers. There are 156 pieces on display that will be gradually renewed.
- Historical archive of Bimenes has catalogued over 849 boxes and 385 books archive collections mostly from the 20th century but unique to know the history of the municipality. The oldest documents that are conserved are the four volumes of the Catastro of Ensenada, dated 1761, minutes of the plenary session since 1859 and general replacement files and enlistment records since 1888.
- Bimenes library, source of fundamental documentation to refer bibliographically.
Initially, this project will last 3 months, but this could be extended by the institutions. Vsuarezp will be dedicated exclusively (full-time) to this coordination task; 6 days per week.*
*Note: This is not "paid editing". The articles will be created by the users, my role will be to coordinate all activities and help with uploading images and documentation.
This project includes:
- Wiki training sessions where participants learn to edit Wikimedia projects, especially Wikipedia, use tools such as Visual Editor and the Content Translation Tool.
- Coordinate the creation or improvement of articles about Bimenes in the wiki training sessions. Right now there is very little presence in Wikipedia and other projects, so the participants in the sessions can create or improve content focused in history and geography, parishes, culture (language, feasts and traditions, clothing and Ethnography...) economy and climate of Bimenes. Also articles of the relevant exhibits and artefacts in the museums. Both in Asturian and Spanish.
- Wiki Takes Bimenes: Activity in which the people of the villages of Bimenes will photograph the municipality to complete its category in Commons (practically empty at the moment).
- Talks about Wikipedia and the sister projects of the Wikimedia movement: for the council staff* and public.
* The largest institutions in the locality are willing to participate: The Radio House, the Archive, the library and the townhall staff (Including the computer teacher or even the mayor). In the various activities, professionals from other sectors such as school teachers and free-time monitors are very likely to be involved.
- Highlight and focus on the most important Female figures of Bimenes. Actually, there are no women from Bimenes in Wikipedia.
- Help to catalog on Wikidata and help to publish articles in Wikipedia about the local archive and upload most relevant documents to Wikisource (including valuable Catastro of Ensenada). Also, help to catalog in Wikidata and help to publish articles in Wikipedia about museum's radios.
- Coordinate donation of old images by the Town Hall and the neighbors in the different activities which later they will be uploaded to Commons by the users. For the images donated by the Town Hall will create an institutional account called User:Conceyu Bimenes managed by municipal staff.
- To establish a long-term productive relationship between the council and the Wikimedia movement.
- Project budget table
|Staff expenses as freelancer||€ 1,300||€ 3,900||(including taxes) for full dedication, as coordinator of activities and trainer, from June to September excluding August*|
* In august some institutions are closed and I'll spent only some time in online tasks, then I prefer not including this month
|Support materials and office supplies||€ 150|
|Events hosting||€ 150||Food, brochures, other expenses|
|Business lunches||€ 100||Possible meetings with representatives of the institutions|
|Travel spending||€ 400||Car or bus, Oviedo-Bimenes and Bimenes-Oviedo. Around Bimenes (most small ones)|
|Total||€ 4,700 / $ 5.022|
- Total cost of project
- € 4,700 / $ 5.022
- This project fits the strategy by increasing participation from new contributors to edit and with content donations (text/images/audio).
- Improvement of the image of Wikipedia associating its name with these institutions.
- Some of population are women; if we increase the number of female editors, public or staff, we can improve the ratio of women editors in the Wikimedia movement.
- Improving the quality of content thanks to the collaboration of cultural institutions and re-licensing of content with Creative Commons.
- This project will increase reach by working in a location that have historically it has been separated from the edition and to which we arrived through its local language.
- The project will increase reach through the use of social media, to engage in a wide and diverse audience through social media content.
- The project fits with the Foundation's goal to increase participation by holding wiki training sessions, following up on these editors and using this information to create a best practices handbook that will allow others to utilize this information to build on successful participation events.
Measures of successEdit
- Articles and items
- The goal is 100 new articles and extensive improvement of all existing.
- Create at least 500 new Wikidata items during wiki training sessions.
- People involved
- Between 50 and 100 people (Rural and mostly old speakers of a minority language)
- Have at least 30% female participation.
- Staff training: 1 per each institution (the Radio House, the Archive, the library and the townhall staff).
- Wiki training sessions for the public: 1 weekly distributed in the largest populations of the municipality.
- Creation of handbook in Asturian language: In our language there is none so this would be the first. In addition we can not use models since this manual would be directed to the Asturian rural population keeping in mind the resources that they have to edit.
- Images and documents
- Between 500 and 700 new valued images.
- Tens of XVIII, XIX, XX and XXI century documents.
- Evaluation of the quality of the images and products obtained.
- The use of images in several languages Wikipedia's pages and their suitability to content.
- The reuse and derivative works, adaptation or translations from images and materials produced.
- Exhibition produced
- Exhibitions presented around the municipality
- A program-calendar of places to go done
- Feedback from people where the exhibition travels
- Qualitative feedback and coverage
- Feedback from all local people and wikipedians (using surveys, given out after each event, improve the quality of the wiki training session to session)
- Media coverage
- Facilitate an official agreement between the Conceyu Bimenes (Bimenes municipality) and local wikimedians to future collaboration.
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
The project will benefit Wikipedia (Asturian and Spanish principally), but also sister projects such as Wikidata, Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons and Wikivoyage.
Please enter your username here. If your team has more than 1 grantee, you can add more people below.
Please provide an email address (or a username that can receive email) that we can use to contact you. This will be shown publicly.
- Vsuarezp: Wikimedia user since 2006, mainly in Asturian Wikipedia, over 25000 contributions including more than 4.000 new Articles. Collaborator of BiblioWikiAsturias project, training and assisting more than 50 librarians from Asturias. Member of Wikimedia España (since 2014), participating in the organization of various activities such as edit-a-thons, talks and training sessions (University of Oviedo, San Martín del Rey Aurelio and Gijón Municipality...) Degree in Schoolteaching (with specialty of Asturian language), with additional formation and experience in translation, research and web design.
- Volunteer Within my time availability, I'm ready to join this project by explaining some technical details to new wikipedians. I'm able to give some background info on related projects such as Commons, Wikidata and OSM Oriciu (talk) 11:08, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Great idea. We need to develop projects in rural areas! Rastrojo (D•ES) 13:42, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
- I support the idea. Even though I believe in the need to provide tools and knowledge about Wikipedia to everybody (and even more in rural areas, where the access become so difficult), I think all working hours planned to edit articles should be resized to teach and give support to schools and libraries, following the Wikipedia Education Program and Bibliowikis (the case study of Catalonia's Network of Public Libraries) and monitoring their progress too. Editing must be always a volunteer task, because if not, when money runs out, the project will collapse. --Xavi Dengra (MESSAGES) 14:05, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
- It is a magnificent idea, I fully endorse the project. It is a very good way of approaching Wikipedia to rural areas, and is very useful for adding exclusive information (specialized information) to the global knowledge. --Esbardu (talk) 20:08, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
- I strongly support this project. I find it interesting in two ways; on the one hand, to bring Wikipedia closer to rural areas, making its history, its heritage, its cultural richness known through Wikimedia projects, and on the other hand it supports a small Wikipedia (Asturian Wikipedia), with a very small community of users but committed to preservation and diffusion of their language. Rodelar (talk) 22:57, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
- I fully endorse this project as an example to other rural areas in Asturies. Also, as a member of astwiki, I'm ready to become a non-grantee volunteer for this project within my time availability. Oriciu (talk) 11:06, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
- Good idea. I endorse this project that i think it would help to add informations and collaboration from rural areas --Astur (talk) 15:18, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
- I strongly support this. As said, it is important to reach rural communities and help those communities with minoritized languages as the Asturian language. --Sahaquiel9102 (talk) 15:07, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- Full support from me. I think it's important to take Wikipedia to rural areas to fight the rural gap and the rural bias, and also it is important to engage Asturian-speaking population, so ast.wiki could grow and develop. Additionally, i trust in Vsuarezp's ability and knowledge in order to go on with the project. Mr.Ajedrez (talk) 20:59, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- We have also a gap related with rural zones and minoritized languages. Millars (talk) 11:25, 25 March 2017 (UTC)