Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning a series of editathons and trainings at the University of chlef university (Algeria). These will take place twice a week for about five months.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
We have a project already running in partnership with a French school - we will use the project page to communicate the target articles.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Yes and no. Wikimedia editors are experienced - both in editing and conducting edit-a-thons, and participants will be university level and bring their own equipment.
The University, however, lacks reliable internet access. We plan to use the newly-developed WikiFundi software (
based on Kiwix) to train them on the basics of editing. Articles will be uploaded gradually.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
By inviting participants to subsequent photo contests (in particular to illustrate articles created) and other writing workshops. Since we'll have a mailing list developed for this, they should be easy to reach.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Because Kiwix/WikiFundi allows access to all Wikimedia projects, we plan to run the workshops in French, Arabic, Algerian Dialect Etc.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: Twice a week during 5 month
- Number of participants: 70 divided in two groups of 35 students each, + 2 trainers
- Number of new editors: 70
- Number of of articles created or improved: minimum one by student
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events):
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
WMDZ user group has no particular resources. Participants are already at the University so there are no additional transportation costs. We will work with the Kiwix team to get customized content.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Because of import restrictions/duties and foreign exchange controls in Algeria it would be much easier for us if payment was directly made to Kiwix in Switzerland.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!