(Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.)
- Activate and grow the Minnesota User Group.
- Build local awareness of Wikimedia activities within the region.
- Educate new and veteran editors on WP initiatives and issues.
- Present information from the Wikimedia North America Conference.
- Socialize with community members and build offline relationships.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- As we did in 2019 and some prior years, we propose to celebrate Wikipedia's Birthday and Public Domain Day in January with a social event in the evening. We propose to use that to earn publicity for edit-a-thons and trainings for new and veteran editors in 2020. Attendees will be invited to join the local user group and attend future meetings.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- A geonotice will be requested for Minnesota editors and talk pages and email lists will be used. We will also invite local media to the event.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes! The grantee (User:Jonathunder) is an experienced English Wikipedia editor and administrator, and anticipates having several additional experienced Wikipedians in attendance as well.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We have several potential locations with high-speed Internet access which we can use for follow-up trainings and edit-a-thons. Participants will be asked to bring laptops.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Participants will be asked for email addresses and will get notifications of future events. They will also be given contact information of experienced volunteers in the area.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of total participants: 20-40
- Number of people who will help organize the event: 2
- Number of active editors involved: 5
- Number of newly registered users: 10
- Number of articles created or improved: 20
- Number of repeat participants: 5-15
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- $150 requested for snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, and birthday cake at the initial event.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!