Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LV/Wiki Loves Earth 2019/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We manged to successfully run Wiki Loves Earth 2019 photo competition. However we did not meet some of our quantitative goals set in grant proposal.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||986||That was a close estimation|
|30 participants uploading a photo||31|
|15 newly registered participants||14||Some of these uploaded quality pictures|
|15% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles||10%||We got too many pictures from most popular objects.|
|mentions in 5 different noteworthy web sites||0||We do not have contacts in mass media, so we had to rely on press release, which did not work.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Awards ceremony was well attended by winners.
- We had 8 different photographers in top 10; previously we had an issue with some people dominating. We implemented a rule limiting participants to 3 images in top 10 (used already before in WLM 2018).
- We had two photo expeditions to distant areas which helped to involve members from our community and get images from not covered areas.
- Our Facebook posts with images from contest got much more attention (views, likes, new followers) than before. We did post on a regular schedule, but there could be outside factors (like internal workings of Facebook) helping us here.
- The amount of money spent on prizes was about right. We have experimented a bit in the past and have seen that there is no need to spend more (as serious amateurs find the prize interesting enough).
- One of winning pictures took 9th place photo in global contest (our first time among finalists)
- What did not work so well?
- Our press releases were not published by serious media. We wrote these using several tips from community, things learned at Wikimedia conferences, but it was not enough.
- We had an issue with the bank that we used to receive the funds. It was closed by authorities and our money was frozen during the time it was needed. We used personal funds to not affect the public facing activities.
- Communication with WMF about banking issue was not as swift as we would have wanted. Response to our concerns in e-mail was received only a full week later.
- We were considering posters and promotional materials, but in the end did not produce them because there was no one from the team willing to do it. Some other responsibilities were also lacking volunteer interest.
- We has an initial time plan, but we did not manage to stick to it. Jury work was interrupted by summer holidays.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Find out ways how to grow our capacities in getting our press release published.
- Create a communications plan for social and mass media.
- We would agree on roles on responsibilities in the team, as this time some of tasks lacked volunteers.
- Consider reducing prizes by small amount to see if there is noticeable change.
Grant funds spent edit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Funds were spent mostly for prizes of competition, organizing awards ceremony and photo expeditions.
All costs are displayed in EUR. Sums in USD were calculated using exchange rate the 1st September 2019.
|Awards for participants||600||600||Gift cards|
|Gifts for jury members||80||80||Gift cards|
|Venue for awards ceremony & snacks||60||45.01||Venue & snacks|
|WLE photo expedition||50||53.96||Fuel for photo expeditions|
|Traveling or shipping expenses for people who are not living in the capital||50||0||Not needed|
|Posters, stickers and other promotional material||50||0||Decided to not do it|
|Miscellaneous||50||12.52||Bank fees and transfers|
Remaining funds edit
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
YES, we have 148.51 EUR remaining.
Anything else edit
Anything else you want to share about your project?