Grants:Project/Rapid/Kolasekhara/National conference on Wikipedia & Education
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- To educate academicians about Wikipedia Education Program and to inspire them to replicate the models of integrating Wikipedia into education.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Planning: Organizers plan for a 3-day long conference for academicians from different universities & colleges of India. Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada will support this program in providing venue, co-organizing support. Invite papers specifically related to "Integrating Wikipedia into education" from Academicians, Program persons and Wikipedians who already have good experience in working along the lines. Will finalize on panels. Also will call for participation. And basing on their credentials, past projects, potential scope of organization in wiki-aspect, etc., will finalize the list of participants.
- Execution: According to the plan, 3 days event will be organized. Participants will under go different talks, presentations and workshops which gives them a good idea of integrating wikipedia into education. These papers & workshops will include different case studies from Indian WEP examples, different wikimedia projects that could welcome students & Education organizations' contribution and also proven methods of using Wikipedia as pedagogic tool. Organizers will conduct every program in this event.
- Follow-up: Participants will have a session where they can express their ideas & a loose implementation plan. Organizers will follow-up this activity at least for 3 months and connect them to useful organization & resources.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Academicians can help Wikipedia by integrating their teaching with Wikipedia and also by offering their expertise in subjects. So, they could contribute both offline and online ideally to Wikimedia projects' growth.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We expect participants gain knowledge on how WEP works and expect some of them to replicate it. Participants will have a session where they can express their ideas & a loose implementation plan. Organizers will follow-up this activity at least for 3 months and connect them to useful organization & resources.
Program for conference
- Releasing archives of specimens, experiments and other academic projects into free license - A case study of Calicut medical college.
- Digitization of Scientific resources in free license
- Session on Writing scientific research paper
- Creating tertiary resources and how it affects our style and authenticity in writing primary & secondary resources.
- Wikipedia as Pedagogic tool: Using Wikipedia in Assignments and assessment of students.
- Creating digital knowledge hub - digitizing and utilizing freely accessible books in improving tertiary resources.
- Creating a workplan for using Wikipedia as the tool to improve students calibar & also contribute to Free knowledge.
- Hands on activity which will have a follow up
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants - 40
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) - 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) - 40
- At least 7 of them to conduct outreach activities/WEP in their education institutions.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Andhra loyola college – Venue, Lab,
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Bus travel – 10 persons x Rs.2500 = Rs.25000
- Train fare – 5 persons x Rs.1500 = Rs.7500
- Local travel = Rs.3000
- Breakfast – 50 persons x Rs.60 x 3 days = Rs.9000
- Lunch – 50 persons x Rs.175 x 3 days = Rs.27000
- Snacks – 50 persons x Rs.30 x 3 times x 3 days = Rs.13500
- Tea/Coffee/miscellaneous food – 50 persons x Rs.20 x 2 times x 3 days = Rs.6000
- Stationary, Printing & Swag
- Certificates – 50 persons x Rs.30 = Rs.1500
- Welcome kit – 50 persons x Rs.40 = Rs.2000
- Invitations – 50 persons x Rs.10 = Rs.500
- Banners – 2 qty x Rs.400 = Rs.800
- Wiki stickers and badges = Rs.1200
- Miscellaneous = Rs.3000
- Total = Rs.100,000
- This program seems very helpful to improve user base in Collages & Universities, especially for Telugu Wikipedia. So, I strongly support it. --Pavan santhosh.s (talk) 02:17, 24 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Pranayraj1985 (talk) 08:44, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support With this conference tewiki will reach to many educational institutions.--Meena gayathri.s (talk) 17:18, 16 September 2016 (UTC)