What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Explain the problem that you are trying to solve with this project. What is the issue you want to address? You can update and add to this later.
Currently, to put an online edit-a-thon through, organisers have to do a lot of excessive work: to make participants submit their contributions to a particular page; to make the jury to manually edit the edit-a-thon's page putting marks individually; to send awards and thanks to the winners and participants by hand etc. I have developed a tool that has already greatly reduced the workload in ruwiki edit-a-thons, and I want to make it a universal standalone tool that doesn't need any tweaking on my side.
What is your solution?Edit
Explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant.
Allow to easily conduct edit-a-thons in all WMF projects in all language editions with a modern flexible tool
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
I will continue developing the Fountain tool (http://tools.wmflabs.org/fountain/) to make it better:
- a flexible universal edit-a-thon creation wizard allowing to configure rules and requirements for the edit-a-thon that will be automatically enforced,
- automated invitation/awarding process,
- internationalisation/localisation of the UI (currently available in Russian only)
- a personal cabinet for participants and jury members providing easy access to the edit-a-thons and statistics,
- edit-a-thon calendar showing upcoming and past events, facilitating the planning
I will respond to bug reports and suggestions from the community as usual :-)
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
- development and support: 3 months × 3,000 USD with 33% personal income tax rate: 3 × 3,000 USD / (100% − 33%) = 13,433 USD
- Approximate timeline in weeks
|Internationalisation/localisation of the UI||1|
|Personal cabinet for participants||1|
|Personal cabinet for jury members||1|
|Automated invitation process||1|
|Automated awarding process||1|
|Edit-a-thon management by admins (approve edit-a-thons etc.)||1|
|Edit-a-thon management by jury members (add/del articles)||0.5|
|Actions logging for audit purposes||2|
|Edit-a-thon rules config||2|
|Template adding configuration||1|
|Jury members management||1|
How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve at various points during your project? Community input and participation helps make projects successful.
Fountain is already being used in Ruwiki (since last year), I will promote it in other wikis during the global Asian Month edit-a-thon starting in November.
Every page in Fountain has a link to send me bug reports and comments.
What do you expect will happen to your project after the grant ends? How might the project be continued or grown in new ways afterwards?
All the source code is published under FOSS licence, it will be available on GitHub.
I plan to continue the support of the tool indefinitely
Measures of successEdit
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include specific, measurable targets here.
It works and is being used! (All the goals listed above are met)
Just me (Ле Лой)
- Volunteer As member of Wikimedia Switzerland, we are looking for a tool like this. I can help for translation and adaptation in the Swiss national languages. Ilario (talk) 09:27, 17 December 2016 (UTC)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- very good idea, that's what was missing when I was on the jury ShinePhantom (talk) 04:49, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- I have a lot of prior experience with Fountain on different stages of development, highly recommend it. I believe this grant would be very helpful to the author so that he can continue working on it. Есстествоиспытатель (talk) 04:51, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- I think it's already a great tool, which will be even significantly better with the proposed improvements. (Disclosure: I'm in regular contact with Le Loy regards articles marathons, contests, tools (including this one), etc., and know about this grant request from Le Loy, despite I wasn't personally encouraged to endorse here.) Dr Bug (Vladimir V. Medeyko) 05:41, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Fountain is great instrument for wikipedia. Томасина (talk) 07:25, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- great tool НоуФрост (talk) 07:32, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Oh sure. It is a necessary and useful tool. Люба КБ (talk) 07:34, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- I used some previous versions of the tool already and it is a great deal for edit-a-thones. If it can be improved, especially in the automation of the criteria checking, it should be improved, I strongly support the idea. --Melirius (talk) 07:37, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- I'm worked with modern (early) version of script in the w:ru:ПРО:ИНКЛ marathon jury — it's great tool Be nt all (talk) 07:45, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Why not? Шнапс (talk) 07:56, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- useful tool - DZ - 08:49, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Прошу прощения за русский язык. Я считаю, очень важным выдать грант участнику Ле Лой на доработку и поддержание инструмента Фонтан. Сегодня Фонтан я вляется одним из важнейших условий проведения вики-марафонов. Марафоны, направленные на улучшение статей, сегодня являются основным инструментом русскоязычноо сегмента википедии привлекающим участников массово дорабатывать статьи. Использование инструмента Фонтан позволяет оперативно отслеживать статьи участников марафона и незамедлительно принимать решение по судьбе статьи. Я считаю что Ле Лой и его Фонтан достоин получения гранта. P.Fisxo (talk) 09:12, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- The tool is already working and usable. Making it available across all wiki-projects will be a tremendous improvement. Sir Shurf (talk) 09:28, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- The tool is very necessary for global competitions, for example, Wiki-Ural (wmru:Вики-Урал). — Niklitov (talk) 09:32, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Very good realization of idea with the room for improvement. I've used it on early stages. --Zanka (talk) 10:31, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- An actual groundbreaker in edit-a-thons organising. Saint Johann (ru) 10:43, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Strong support Bezik (talk) 10:47, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- current project Changall (talk) 10:50, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- The tool is fantastic, I can only hope all the planned features will be implemented. GreatMusicLover (talk) 10:56, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- yes of course RasabJacek (talk) 11:24, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- +1 Andrey (talk) 12:01, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Super! Azgar (talk) 13:13, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support The aim and benefits for the Wikipedia project are obvious. And it is not some purely mental construct but already with some parts tried and tested by someone experienced through edit-a-thons. NeoLexx (talk) 13:54, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Seems to be an awesome tool to run such projects. – Meiræ 15:26, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- This is a very important thing for the development of a system of tenders for the creation of content in Wikipedia Slavic languages. JukoFF (talk) 17:15, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- very good tool Baccy (talk) 17:20, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support Это прорыв в деле проведения марафонов. Юлия 70 (talk) 17:30, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- Automation and gamification are more than just words. Jack who built the house (talk) 20:57, 7 October 2016 (UTC)
- a very useful tool ShvabRu (talk) 07:26, 8 October 2016 (UTC)
- Because its very helpful tool Dmartyn80 (talk) 18:55, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
- useful and covenient Igel B TyMaHe (talk) 11:40, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
- good idea Илья Яковлев (talk) 16:33, 12 October 2016 (UTC)
- Император плохого не сделает. Кубаноид (talk) 09:50, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support I've interacted with Le Loi in two marathons as a participant and jury member and also discussed programming issues. Given the effort he has already invested in developing The Fountain, I cannot be happier to learn he is finally taking it to the next level and making it available to the worldwide community. SSneg (talk) 11:56, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support It will be an interesting and usefull tool, I suppose! Andrew Krizhanovsky (talk) 16:27, 14 October 2016 (UTC)
- (+) Why not? Maxinvestigator (talk) 08:41, 20 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support I´m giving lectures at the university since years, we always make editatons. A tool would be a fantastic help! --Hubertl (talk) 18:30, 30 November 2016 (UTC)
- Support. Хорошая идея. Фред-Продавец звёзд (talk) 07:36, 9 December 2016 (UTC)