Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Wikimedia Estonia Simple Annual Plan Grant for the year 2022
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
Applicant details edit
- K2suvi, kruusamagi
- Mittetulundusühing Wikimedia Eesti
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
- Estonian National Library, The Ministry of Education and Research, The Year of Digiculture, etc.
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
Additional information edit
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
- Home page: https://wikimedia.ee/
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
MTÜ Wikimedia Eesti (WMEE) supports and promotes the development of Wiki-infrastructure, ie Wikipedia and other wiki projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikiquotes, Wikitexts and other Wiki-sites in Estonia, in Estonian and in Võru language. In addition, WMEE encourages and administers the coverage of Estonia(n)-related information in non-Estonian Wikipedias.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
The main purpose of this application is to ensure the continued operation of Wikimedia Estonia as part of Estonian society and also as part of the Wikimedia movement in 2022. In the upcoming year, we plan to follow the same direction already written down in 2018 i.e. times before corona. The difference is that in the future we will consciously try to cope to live permanently with coronavirus and thus use more modern and online tools and applications to meet our targets. We intend to work with the goals of Wikimedia Eesti in more detail. We have already started writing down specific activities on how to achieve the desired results by 2030. We want to create and strengthen our community and involve both old and young people in Wikimedia Estonia's activities. We intend to achieve this through consistent work in educational institutions and we also see the Estonian state and its various ministries as our strategic partners. In addition, we want to cooperate more thoroughly with local governments and establish the first Estonian wiki clubs, where intelligent students can use their potential alongside older people who have more free use of time. We also intend to find out how to attract and retain regular contributors to wiki projects and what Wikimedia Eesti can do for them. Wikimedia Eesti goals: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1nNXGABAxyBEXeuHZsYW2cotj70yVxfUfrkptbwJyh4w/edit
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Education: Working with schools (higher, secondary, and basic school levels) to introduce Wikimedia projects to students Supporting teachers and (if needed) students with their Wikimedia problems Introducing Wikipedia as a tool for CLIL methodology Putting together teaching materials on copyright and open culture Promoting Wikipedia activities via wikiclubs in local communities Active communication with educational organizations and authorities to promote cooperation and projects in the field of education
GLAM: Working with GLAM institutions to make more of their data and content publicly available Improving and expanding our set of Wikidata tools to import Estonian GLAM data Organizing photo-expeditions to GLAM institutions to help digitize materials Visit libraries and provide training for their staff on the use of Wikipedia, including writing articles Organize wiki workshops for young people under the age of 18 at their local hobby school Analyze and map, in cooperation with the University of Tartu Museum, their collections to be exhibited for the university anniversary Use a mobile photo studio to capture an exhibition of glassware from an Estonian museum
Open culture and outreach: Workshops/online seminars about copyright in cooperation with the Ministry of Justice Organizing thematic months and activities(environmental month, art month, etc.), including thematic article competitions Promoting open culture to the public and recruiting new Wikimedians Organizing competitions to engage both existing and new Wikimedians Supporting Wikipedians of smaller Finno-Ugric communities Participating in public discussion about open culture Celebrating Estonian Wikipedia’s 20th anniversary. Organizing Wikipedia summer days as part of our 20th-anniversary celebration Organizing #WikiGap 2022 in cooperation with Feministeerium
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
One of the biggest goals of both this proposal and Wikimedia Estonia is to raise awareness - what a Wiki is and how it is (jointly) created. We want every Estonian to know that everyone can contribute to wiki projects, and ideally, every Estonian has also contributed to a project (either in the form of an article, photo, quote, etc.).
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Job title: Office Manager Who: Käbi Laan Description: The Organizational Manager is in charge of running the day-to-day affairs of the chapter. They oversee the work of the other employees, helping them implement the general directions suggested by the board of directors. Additionally, they deal with minor but important day-to-day organizational issues. They report directly to the Board of Directors.
- 0.5 FTE, permanent contract.
Wikimedia username: K2suvi
Job title: Project Manager (Education) Who: Pille Priks Description: The Project Manager for Education oversees finding opportunities for cooperation with educational institutions and running the projects that develop from those opportunities. They are also expected to cooperate with the Communication/Outreach Manager to promote open culture and the Wikimedia projects more generally to educational institutions.
- 0.5 FTE, permanent contract.
Job title: Project Manager (GLAM) Who: Kerdo Kristjan Tamm Description: The Project Manager for GLAM oversees finding opportunities for cooperation with GLAM institutions and running the projects that develop from those opportunities. They are also expected to cooperate with the Communication/Outreach Manager to more generally promote open culture and the Wikimedia projects to GLAM institutions.
- 0.5 FTE, permanent contract.
Job title: Communication/Outreach Manager Who: Kristel Birgit Potsepp Description: The Communication/Outreach Manager oversees the chapter's internal and external communication. They run the chapter's blog and social media pages, help organize and promote events and make sure the chapter members and the public are kept up to date on the chapter's activities and on anything interesting happening in the Estonian Wikiverse. They also help the project managers promote their projects as needed.
- 0.5 FTE, permanent contract.
Last 3 report to the Organizational Manager on day-to-day duties, and to the chapter members via weekly update reports.
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Age (regency) , Geography, Language, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Climate Change and sustainability, Public Policy, Diversity
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Disabilities, Linguistic / Language, Age
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
Our main focus is locating more people in various areas of expertise, who have not yet contributed to the Wikimedia project, but could easily do so. We also intend to find more people in various geographic, linguistic, and age groups. Like in 2021 we were looking for Võro speakers, preparing a joint project in Ida-Viru County, outreached to the Estonian art community, and developed a virtual art exhibition for the blind people ("Nähes Pääsukest"). So what we intend to do in 2022: Geographic: promotion of wiki clubs and greatly increased number of photo expeditions help to reach a wider geographic area. Ethnic/cultural background: We keep on looking for Võro speakers and prepare a project that should involve Estonian Russians. Disabilities: We want to continue working with the blind and the local association of the blind. We plan to conduct a user survey to find out how many blind people visited the virtual exhibition with descriptive translations and what could be different in wiki projects for them. Linguistic/language: we keep on expanding our Finno-Ugric project. Age: we are looking towards involving both older people and school students.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
We have agreed with our community that at the next general meeting we will jointly agree on the usage of UCOC as well as the implementation of the Friendly Space Policy. To this end, we will also make the relevant decisions in the NGO (Wikimedia Eesti) and in the future the event organizers, employees and the board are responsible for ensuring that the instructions adopted by the NGO are followed.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
As usual, when writing this application, we have always taken into account the wishes or opinions of the members of our NGO and Wikipedians, which can be submitted throughout the year. Also this summer, for example, a discussion round was held on summer days about how to proceed and with which activities.
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
We hope to continue and expand our work with local universities, high schools and primary schools including cooperating with teachers and students. We will be working with national and local governments - we will submit a proposal also to be a strategic partner to the Estonian Ministry of Education, alongside as stated above, we would like to work with local governments in means of working with wiki clubs. We will also continue working with our GLAM partners - we will build the trust in wiki projects as such that museums see Wikimedia commons as a desirable platform for virtual exhibitions.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
We are currently working on the WMEE 2030 strategy, so we hope to be in the picture at least until 2030 and achieve our primary goals by then. Hopefully, this will be followed by the next strategy, and so on.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Innovate in Free Knowledge
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation edit
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
What approaches are best for introducing students to wiki projects? Does it make more sense to introduce wiki projects to teachers or students? How can wiki projects be used in cooperation with GLAM authorities? We want to experiment and explore different ways to advertise ourselves. What is the inflammatory factor for the so-called ordinary person that draws him to Wikipedia? What is this communication strategy to reach more and more people?
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees
|Number of people reached through social media publications
|Number of activities developed
|Number of volunteer hours
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants
|All participants: 300, new of them: 200.
|Number of editors
|All editors: 2000, new of them: 1000.
|Number of organizers
|All organizers: 20, new of them: 12.
|New articles created or improved 5000
|Images uploaded 1000
|Items created or improved 300
|Pages created or improved 100
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
We have seen the list of tools for measuring metrics, but as a fairly new person to deal with measuring our outcome, I’d like to get some training and support.
Financial Proposal edit
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 78329.2 EUR
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 91355.35 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
Final Message edit
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.