Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Community Brazilian Group of Education and Research/Wiki Loves Monuments Brasil 2015/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- creating and editing all the pages with the necessary information about the project on Portuguese Wikipedia (23-30 August);
- promote 2-3 meetings with the user group/contest team for planning, organization, future activities (August-October)
- creating and editing all the flyers, banners, documents and everything necessary for online and off-line marketing (30 August to 20 September);
- promote meetings with photographers and organizations to spread the contest (September);
- defined the jury for the competition (1-10 September);
- promotion of the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites, blogs and important photographers (25 August-30 September);
- open the uploading of photographs on Wikimedia Commons (1-30 September);
- photowalk in Rio de Janeiro in partnership with Rolé Carioca (12 September);
- Photos evaluation (5-15 October);
- official announcement of the winners of the Brazilian competition (30 October);
- submitting the best photographs to participate in the global competition (30 October -1 November);
- evaluating the project and compiling the report (November).
- WLM 2015 Edit-a-thon / Photos
- Based on the learnings from Wiki Loves Earth we adopted social networks campaigns and Facebook paid adds to improve the new users engagement
- The partners from Wiki Loves Earth 2015 supported us during the contest, generating good visibility among professional photographers
- As proposed at Learnings from Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2015 we created a partnership with the Caxias do Sul University - College of Photography to have students and teachers from that area forming a professional team for the filtering and evaluation steps of the contest. That partnership was responsible to improve the quality of the final photos evaluated by the professional jury and the time needed for that phase of the contest.
- What didn't work?
- The initial list of monuments was too short. Basically we used only the list of federal registered monuments provided by our partner from the gov(IPHAN), not including other lists from state departments. It impacted directly in the number of pictures received and national monuments coverage. That is something that is needed to improve the results of the next WLM in Brazil.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- For sure we need to improve the monuments lists and increase the number of monuments to be photographed to receive more photos and increase the national coverage.
- We used only social media and monuments lists ate Wikipedia, probably an official site for the contest can improve the marketing and general organization of the contest
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Original goals and metrics
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Yes, we achieved the main goals, including the number of photos loaded, the number of participants and new users engagement. Using the tools developed for the contest we checked the main measures of success defined in the original project.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|at least 400 participants uploading one photograph or more||411 uploaders|
|at least 3,000 photos uploaded;||4442 photos||Our social media strategy and media partnerships were crucial to reach that numbers. For sure with improvements on our monuments lists we will be able to improve the results of the next contests|
|at least 5% of photos used on Wikipedia;||200 photos used, 138 distinct (3.11% of all images of category WLM Brasil 2015)||To improve the photos usage we will need to improve our monuments lists to generate better meta-data for the next contests and organize more thematic edit-a-thons to improve the pictures usage on Wikipedias.|
|at least 60% of new users engagement during the contest;||79% of new users engagement||Based on our studies, many participants from WLE 2014 and WLE 2015 joined in that first edition of WLM 2016|
|at least 10 new articles about natural heritage sites in Brasil;||40 articles improved and 6 new articles created|
- Portal Photos: WLM Concurso de fotografia
- Tech Tudo - Portal G1: Concurso de fotos de monumentos da Wikipédia tem premios em dinheiro
- Podcast Papo de Fotografo: Concurso de fotografia que elegerá as 10 melhores fotografias do mundo
- Portal Fotografia-DG: Concurso fotográfico Wiki Loves Monuments
- IPhoto Channel: Inscrições abertas para concurso fotográfico da Wikipédia
- Blog OKFN BR: Wiki Loves Monuments: inscrições até o dia 30 de setembro
- Podcast Papo de Fotógrafo
- Jornal do Iguassu: Publicação on-line e no jornal impresso do dia 31/Outubro/2015
- Portal de notícias da UCS - Universidade de Caxias do Sul: Estudantes e professores do curso de Fotografia fazem parte do júri nacional do Wiki Loves Monuments 2015
- Posts engagement: 7.154
- Page likes: 1.400
- Reach: 145,589 people
- Followers: 25
- Tweets: 50
- Posts engagement: 85
- Reach: 48.000 people
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||8||Editors that contributed with the contest pages and contest planning/execution|
|2. # of new editors||323 (79%)||New users registered on commons during the contest uploading at least one picture to the contest|
|3. # of individuals involved||420||Number of participants in the contest|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||200/138||200 photos used, 138 distinct (3.11% of all images of category WLM Brasil 2015)|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||12.027||New pictures uploaded during the contest|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||200||Number of articles improved and illustrated with pictures from the contest in many languages (130 in portuguese, 20 in english)|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- During and after the contest all activities were published on mail lists and pt.wikipedia/commons. All posts received a good attention from our community that provided a lot of good feedback, including some support in key activities like contest promotion on social networks and monuments pages improvements on pt.wiki. Since this kind of contest is new for our community, based on the positive feedback we feel that this initiative motivated some contributors to join us for the next activities and contests. The partners that joined during that contest will be very useful for the next projects and contests.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Through the WME Brasil 2015 we brought 323 new users to commons(79% of new users engagement)
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Bringing new good quality photos, the WLM Brasil 2015 helped to improve many articles around national heritage with pictures used in more than 28 projects/wikis
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- We don't have that information
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item Description||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Notes|
|1||Prizes||1 place – best photo – Andre Yabiku||1||R$ 3.000,00||R$ 3.000,00||DOC 1|
|2||Prizes||2 place – best photo – Ruy Carvalho||1||R$ 2.000,00||R$ 2.000,00||DOC 2|
|3||Prizes||3 place – best photo – Ciro Amado||1||R$ 1.000,00||R$ 1.000,00||DOC 3|
|4||Designer + web designerner||Designer paid to create promotional material, social network pictures, photo exhibition banners and etc||1||R$ 800,00||R$ 800,00||DOC 4|
|5||Office supplies||Banners||4||R$ 67,50||R$ 270,00||DOC 5|
|6||UG/Contest meetings||Coworking rental for offline meetings (hours)||6||R$ 70,00||R$ 420,00||DOC 6|
|7||UG/Contest meetings||Coworking – coffee break for 12 people||1||R$ 72,00||R$ 72,00||DOC 6|
|8||Office supplies||Ink cartdriges, paper, flipchart, pen, white board cleaner||1||R$ 925,18||R$ 925,18||DOC 7|
|9||Social Network Campaigns - Facebook/Twitter paid ads||Facebook Ads (6 promoted publications)||1||R$ 615,72||R$ 615,72||DOC 8|
|10||UG/Contest meetings||Public transportation(card charge)||1||R$ 50,00||R$ 50,00||DOC 9|
|11||UG/Contest meetings||Food/Beverage for 2 people||1||R$ 36,29||R$ 36,29||DOC 10|
|12||Social Network Campaigns - Facebook/Twitter paid ads||Zoho Social - Social Network Tool (1 month)||1||R$ 175,00||R$ 175,00||DOC 11|
|13||Social Network Campaigns - Facebook/Twitter paid ads||Zoho Web Site - Web Site (1 year)||1||R$ 140,00||R$ 140,00||DOC 12|
|14||UG/Contest meetings||Taxi - Meeting||1||R$ 20,00||R$ 20,00||DOC 13|
|15||UG/Contest meetings||Taxi - Meeting||1||R$ 16,00||R$ 16,00||DOC 13|
|16||UG/Contest meetings||Taxi - Meeting||1||R$ 11,00||R$ 11,00||DOC 13|
|17||UG/Contest meetings||Taxi - Meeting||1||R$ 19,00||R$ 19,00||DOC 13|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- R$ 9.655,54
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- R$R$ 9.570,19
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- R$R$ 9.570,19
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- R$85,35 (This value was added to the WLE funds remaining for Wikipedia 15/WLE Exhibition/WLM Edit-a-thon)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.