Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Community Brazilian Group of Education and Research/Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2015
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The main goal of that project is to improve the quality of content on the Portuguese Wikimedia projects by providing good quality images to the content production, increasing the number of freely licensed photographs from the natural heritage in Brasil and bringing new contributors to the Brazilian Wikimedia Movement.
During the last year was organized in Brasil the first edition of a Wikimedia Photo Contest. The WLE 2014 generated a great positive impact, bringing near 7.000 new photo to commons with the participation of 950 photographers and new users engagement around 95%. The contest received a positive feedback from the local media, with many online and offline publications. The final results was published in a very important local photo magazine with ~50.000 copies distributed in all Brazilian states and during the second semester we organized a Photo Exhibition during the event Paraty em Foco one of the most important photo events in Brasil.
The WLE 2014 was organized by Rodrigo Padula as part of the activities of the Brazilian Catalyst Program in partnership with Ação Educativa and grants from WMF.
The idea and plans for the WLE 2015 is to reproduce the last edition, applying all the learning, organizing that edition based only in community efforts through the Wikimedia Community Brazilian Group of Education and Research with that grant from WMF.
- List of activities
- The activities that will be carried out to execute the project are as follows:
- creating and editing all the pages with the necessary information about the project on Portuguese Wikipedia (1-20 April);
- creating and editing all the flyers, banners, documents and everything necessary for online and off-line marketing (1-30 April);
- constituting the jury for the competition (1-10 May);
- promoting the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites, blogs and important photographers (20 April-31 May);
- open the uploading of photographs on Wikimedia Commons (1-31 May);
- evaluating the photographs uploaded to make the decision (5-20 June);
- official announcement of the winners of the Brazilian competition (22 June);
- submitting the best photographs to participate in the global competition (June/July);
- publish all the results in a printed magazine. (confirmed by Fotograge Melhor to August)
- start the planning and negotiations for the Photo Exhibition for the second semester of 2015(June/July);
- evaluating the project and compiling the report (July).
- Organized/execute the Photo Exhibition (September/November);
- Portuguese Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Commons
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing reach
- Creating partnerships with photo clubs, cultural centers and professional photographers to target potential contributors to Wikimedia Commons and off-line activities, increasing the quality of the content uploaded on commons.
- Through the national contest and massive online and offline marketing/activities we will target contributions from all regions of the country
- Increasing participation
- Onboarding and educating new contributors through direct communication and providing support material/brochures to keep the contributors involved on the Wikimedia Movements, based on the support from active and experienced contributors as well. Based on that approach we intend to improve the user's contributions retention after the contest.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- The success of the project will be measured through the following measures:
- at least 400 participants uploading one photograph or more;
- at least 5,000 photos uploaded;
- at least 15% of photos used on Wikipedia;
- at least 50% of new users engagement during the contest;
- at least 10 new articles about natural heritage sites in Brasil;
- at least 10% of new user retention after 2 months of the contest.
Resources and risksEdit
- low level of participation
- how minimize: improving the marketing online and offline, promote more activities than last year, create local partnerships with other organizations and photo events/organizations
- low level of engagement of active contributions
- how minimize: improving the communication with active contributors through the mail lists, wikipedia, commons and IRC. Increasing the level of external participation and contribution
- higher prices during the contest
- how to minimize: cutting costs, finding local partners/supporters
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Item||Description||Cost (BRL)||Cost (USD)|
|Prizes||Based on the Brazilian regulations we will give prizes in money in two categories: best photos and best contributions(quanti/quali). Best photo: 1= R$2.000,2= R$1500,3=R$1000 and Best contributions: 1= R$2.000,2= R$1500,3=R$1000||R$9.000||$3.050|
|Photo exhibition||Room rental + photo printing + flyers(Probably during the event Paraty em Foco like last year||R$12.000||$4.063|
|Designer||Payment for a professional to create flyers, banners,folders and everything necessary for the contest's marketing online and offline||R$600||$203|
|Swag/Trip/Mail||Extra value necessary to cover offline activities, mail flyers/banners, printing, trips for meetings with partners, swag production||R$3.400||$1.151|
Total cost of projectEdit
R$25.000 ( Around US$8.700 including taxes/money transfer fees)
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
R$25.000 ( Around US$8.700 including taxes/money transfer fees)
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- The project will provide an expansion in the Brazilian Wikimedia material, this will encourage new contributors and have the Wikimedia community is larger in Brazil. Jayme Ayres (talk) 14:38, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- Support For the previous edition, 2014, I helped the Brazilian team by sharing my experience of being involved with the similar contest Wiki Loves Monuments in my country, Romania. Then, responding to their call I returned as a jury member, so I directly saw what they managed to accomplish in 2014. With this knowledge and seeing the current proposal, I am confident it will be a success for both the Brazilian team and Wikipedia in general. Nicubunu (talk) 15:20, 20 April 2015 (UTC)