Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement? Yes
The purpose of this grant was to cover the costs of the Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM) organisers that are based in Cape Town to fly to Gauteng for meetings there and to facilitate for Gauteng based members to meet with government and corporate partners. Due to personal commitments of various members of the organizing team, only Lourie (WLM Project Lead) from the Cape Town group was available to fly from Cape Town to Johannesburg. In Gauteng Dumisani (WLM Project Lead) and Charlene (WMZA board member) were available, but Charlene could not make it to the meeting due to her busy schedule (Refer to SMS conversation).
The primary meeting was intended to be with the National Heritage Council (NHC) to present WLM and hopefully gain their support. Only two days before this the meeting it was postponed by the NHC to a later date, due to last minute unavaliability of key members. Unfortunately the airline tickets were already purchased and because it was the saver (cheapest) option, these tickets cannot be moved without very high added costs and because frequent flyer miles was used it complicated the situation even more. In addition to this the car rental company was also already paid.
Due to the above reasons, Lourie still travelled to Gauteng. While being there he visited potential venues for the competition and continued further work with Dumisani. They started to work on WLM from 14:00 to 19:00 on Friday, 20 July 2012.
Project goal and measures of success edit
Project goal edit
See the original description here. The initially laid out goals were partially fullfiled, as we could not succeed in meeting the NHC during that time. Fortunately one of the Gauteng organisers had the time to meet with them the next week. Further, because most of the initially interested parties were not available during the time, it was not possible to meet in person and work on the WLM project. This also led to the board meeting not to be realised.
Measures of success edit
Even though the originally laid out goals were not reached in full, the following goals were reached:
- Potential venues for the prize-giving event of the WLM competition was checked out for suitability. This specific venue (Hector Pieterson museum) was proposed by one of our contacts while we met-up during Wikimania. There are worries about this venue and we are currently looking at other options.
- Two of the organisers worked together to finalize the WLM budget and submit it for revision. In addition to this many other ideas were brainstormed regarding the competition, such as the methodology of the launch, the jury, technical aspects, and so forth.
Lessons learned edit
What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects?
- Even though it is not the cheapest option, it may be better to go for airline tickets that can be moved free of charge.
- It is better to arrange these kinds of meetings for weekends as individual work commitments are not flexible. This will be bourne in mind when arranging the next meeting.
- Initially we wanted to use the Hector Pieterson museum without considering other options. The fact that meeting cancellations led to more available time, the organisers could visit this venue and notice that it would not be suitable for the prize-giving event. Should this venue be used, the evening would have been much less of a success than it could have been.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- The WLM competition got more structured, as many of the brainstorming sessions led to ideas currently being implemented.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures edit
Did you send WMF documentation of all expenses paid for with grant funds? Yes
Details of expenditures:
|Description||Amount (Rand)||Amount (Dollars)||Note|
|Car rental (Payment 1)||540.00||65.06|||
|Car rental (Payment 2)||1400.00||168.67|||
|Car rental (Payback)||-912.00||-109.88|||
- One round-trip ticket from Cape Town to Johannesburg, which was aided by frequent flyer points.
- The first payment made to the car rental company on reservation.
- Additional fee and deposit made on acceptance of car.
- Repayment from car company at the end of hire.
- Petrol cost while using rented vehicle.
- Parking cost for the Cape Town organiser at the airport.
- Lunches during the two days (including both organisers).
14508.18 (grant) - 115.00 (bank costs) - 3205.00 (above) = 11188.18 ZAR. ($1364.91)
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding? Yes.
- We also request that these funds be allocated to the current grant request for Wiki Loves Monuments ZA.
Will you be returning unused funds to the Wikimedia Foundation? No, see above.