- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia New York City
- Grant contact name
- Richard Knipel
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Richard Knipel
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Full project name
- Wikimedia New York City: Kick start
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- December 1, 2009
- Provisional completion date
- January 1, 2011
- $500—Government and banking fees: IRS Form 1023 ($300), banking fees, other government and nonprofit status fees
- $500—Smaller events and projects: Materials and space rentals that may be needed for Wikipedia at the Library sessions or other smaller events, funding for projects initiated by interns (eg digital tapes for video project)
- $500—Online and printed infrastructure: online donation system, membership system, possible domain/hosting fees, printed instructional and promotional materials
Wikimedia NYC would like to expand its capacity for working in the real world and interacting with local institutions, securing our IRS nonprofit status, and maturing as a membership organization.
The goal of this project is to enable a more sustained and professional building of relationships with the institutions of our region, and to enable us to solidify our organizational infrastructure.
The securing of a Wikimedia.org subdomain would be helpful to us, as well as learning whatever is needed to integrate our online infrastructure with other Wikimedia efforts.
Fit to strategyEdit
The project will help develop the professionalization and credibility of the organization, and its capacity for further such professionalization in the future.
This project allows us to take advantage of some of timely opportunities for cooperation with other groups to use funding for smaller events like Wikipedia at the Library.
Measures of successEdit
We will consider this project a success if we become better able to manage general operational expenses, and are able to develop and pursue strategies needed for our longer-term existence as an organization.