- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
- Grant contact name
- Josh Lim
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Sky Harbor / jamesjoshualimyahoo.com
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Butch Bustria
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Exec8 / bustriasgmail.com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Project Co-chair
- Full project name
- Wikimedia Philippines: Wikipedia Takes Manila (Wikipedia X Celebrations in Manila)
- Amount requested (in USD)
- P70,500 (around $1,625)
- Provisional target start date
- January 1, 2011
- Provisional completion date
- January 31, 2011
(N.B.: For ease of computing and to account for currency fluctuations, rates here are quoted at P43.50=$1 if Philippine peso figures are given. All values given here are estimates.)
- Prizes: P25,000 (around $575)
- We'll be giving out prizes for the top three teams, the best photo of the contest, and consolation prizes for all participating teams. If we can get WikiReaders for prizes, we may be able to reduce this amount.
- Participant kits: P20,000 (around $460)
- Participant kits will include IDs for the participants, a pen, a notepad, cards with the goals printed and a map of Manila.
- Awards ceremony and Wikipedia X party: P20,000 (around $460)
- Party paraphernalia (like streamers, name tags and the like): P5,000 (around $115)
- Subsidized entrance to Paco Park: P500 (around $12; P5/person for 100 persons)
Any extra funds left unused after the procurement/payment of all the above items shall be reallocated for use in funding WMPH projects and programs for the 2011 fiscal year, with permission from the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikimedia Philippines will be hosting Wikipedia Takes Manila, a Wikipedia Takes the City-style photo scavenger hunt which is the first of its kind in the Philippines and Southeast Asia. Teams will compete to take as many pictures of sites from a list of sites in the City of Manila ("Inner Manila") which lack Wikipedia articles, whose articles don't have pictures, or whose pictures are important to building the context of articles. There may also be recognition of excellent photographs of sites not on the list of goals provided.
The goal of the project is aimed at increasing the coverage of free photographs involving the City of Manila so that they can be used in Wikipedia articles which need pictures, as well as promoting awareness of Wikipedia in Manila, particularly to people who are not Wikipedians, or who may have wrong notions or perceptions about the projects.
We can use some help with procuring prizes for winning teams, like WikiReaders.
Fit to strategyEdit
This project allows us to obtain high-quality images of sites within Manila in a capacity far greater than what normal Wikipedians would be able to cover. Because we're targeting amateur and professional photographers for this type of event, the project will definitely improve on the quality of existing images of the Philippines uploaded on Commons and other Wikimedia projects, as well as more effectively cover a part of the world where many sites and areas suffer from a dearth of images in their respective Wikipedia articles.
The project also allows us to make Wikimedia more relevant to ordinary Filipinos, and to encourage them to contribute to the projects and the movement as a whole by means of taking quality pictures. Contrary to what Filipinos normally think about contributing to Wikipedia, contributing is not all about just editing the articles, and that's the message that this project seeks to send to participants.
Because we're aiming to make these celebrations a big event, we believe we can get media coverage for this event, which will definitely go a long way in promoting Wikimedia not only to people in Manila, but also nationwide. Also, we believe we can also convince participants to help promote Wikimedia in their communities, or even go so far as becoming WMPH members, which will help the organization.
Measures of successEdit
We will consider this project a success if the following quantitative measures are met:
- We can get at least 30 people (15 teams of two or 10 teams of three) to participate
- We have at least 50 participants in the Wikipedia X party
- If the number of quality pictures to the Wikimedia projects increases as a result of this event, whether it be to the collections of Commons, or to articles on the English or Philippine-language projects
Qualitatively, we will consider this project a success if we are able to build up a strong support network by which Wikimedia Philippines can more easily roll out future initiatives and programs, both within and outside Manila.