- Official project name
- Grant to finance the prizes of Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Spain
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- Already started with promotion of the contest. The contest starts officialy 1 September 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 30 November 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Well-known: awards for the winners of the contest Wiki Loves Monuments in Spain
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- US$1.334 per euro (ECB as reference, Aug 16th)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia España
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- ORGANISATION (Chapter of Wikimedia in Spain)
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Primary contact name
- Santiago Navarro
- Primary contact username or email
- Username "Millars" in Wikimedia, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Vice-president Wikimedia Spain
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Diego Delso
- Project lead username or email
- Username "Poco a poco" in Wikimedia, email: email@example.com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Member Wikimedia Spain
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The overall purpose of WLM is to increase the material related to monuments with a free license in Commons. With the scope that we are asking funding for we want to finance the cost of the awards to the context winners. The prizes are a stimilus to increase the amount of people participating in the contest and sowith increase the amount of material in Commons than can be used in different articles, along with new contributors to the Wikimedia movement. At the same time and without charge of the WMF there is a widen promotion of the contest online in Spain.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- Amount of media participating in the contest within Spain: success is over 20,000 files.
- Amount of single users participating in the contest: success is over 500.
- Amount of new editors still active 6 months after the contest ended: success is over 15.
- Amount of articles in the Wikimedia projects using this material after 6 months: success is 5,000.
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Preparation of monuments directories
- Gather material also from Flickr
- Promote the contest online
- Corrections, if needed, of uploaded material
- Selection of candidates
- Nomination of winners and submit of best 10 pictures to the international jury
- Awards (note: only this activity needs budget from the foundation, but it is crucial for the whole contest)
Budget and resourcesEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Number - Category - Item description - Unit - Number of units - Cost per unit - Total cost - Currency - Notes
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||Tablet Nexus 7 32 GB Wiki||1 tablet||1||€249.00 ||€249.00||First prize|
|2||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 2 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||1||€123.9 ||€123.9||Second prize|
|3||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 1 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||2||€61.3 ||€122.60||Third prize and photographer who uploaded most pictures|
|4||Awards||Exemplar of the book Wikipedia de la A a la W, Author:Tomás Saorín, 2012, Editorial: UOC, ISBN: 978-84-9029-012-5||1 book||16||€12.50 ||€200.00||10 best photographers, uploader #1 and 5 jury members|
|5||Certificates||Printout of certificates||1 certificate||11||€2.00||€22.00||10 best photographers and uploader #1|
|6||Internet||Domain and web hosting for site http://www.wikilm.es||1 package||1||€30.00||€30.00||None|
|7||Shipping||Shipping to up to 16 persons||1 shipment||16||€5.00||€80.00||None|
|8||Unforeseen||Expenses that cannot be planned at this moment||15% of estimated budget||0,15||€827.5||€124.125||The amount is the result of 15% of the estimated €827.5|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Unfortunately none, the conditions of possible sponsors were too high for too little money
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Organisation: see above, in addition several members of the chapter doing maintenance work in Flickr or Commons to the uploaded material and finally the 5 members of the jury. Additional organisations helping in the organisation: OKFN Spain, Ciberia, Paisaje Transversal, Amical Wikimedia (in Catalan speaking areas), Senderos GR, Agrupación Fotográfica de Segorbe and Fundación del Patrimonio Histórico de Castilla y León at this moment. Official site of WLM in Spain (English version).
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- It is well known that through WLM a lot of material for Commons is gathered, Wikimedia has an important promotion in the press and we gain a lot of new editors (although unfortunately it is also proven that not many stay for long, i.e. the retainment quote is low).
- In the current consolidation phase of Wikimedia Spain it is crucial to ensure activities like this one that have been carried out in the last years, and if succeeded in, then think of additional topics.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- All projects in the foundation dealing with monuments located in Spain
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- Local organisation of the contest Wiki Loves Monuments that is carried out in approx. 42 countries this year
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- We of course plan to organise the contest in 2014, as well, with improved directories and hopefully year by year more people interested in this activity. Since it is an official contest within Wikimedia it shall be organised only by chapters, user groups or thematic organisations.