Grants:PEG/WM ES/Conferences and meeting for tenth anniversary of the Galipedia
IMPORTANT: Please do not make changes to this page now. They will be reverted.
- This project has been funded, completed, and a project report has been reviewed and accepted by WMF Staff.
- To review a list of other funded submissions by fiscal year, please visit the Requests subpage, and to review the WMF Grants Program criteria for funding please visit the Grants:Index.
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia España
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific): Yes, we are non-profit
- Grant contact name
- Miguel García
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Elisardo Juncal
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Conferences and meeting for tenth anniversary of the Galipedia, wikipedia in galician
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- 2500 EUR
- Provisional target start date
- march, 1st 2013
- Provisional completion date
- march, 15th 2013
- Travel, accommodation and expenses for three speakers from out of Galicia (500 eur * 3): 1500 eur
- Travel and expenses for three speakers from Galicia (75 eur * 3): 225 eur
- T-shirts for publicise Galipedia with slogan: "Galipedia needs you" in galician (12 eur * 40): 480 eur
- Galipedia cakes (35 eur * 3 + 10 eur): 115 eur 
- Unforeseen and extraordinary expenses: 180 eur
- ↑ Travel from home of speakers (out of Galicia) to Santiago de Compostela and back, accomodation in hotel and meals. One speaker comes from Barcelona and other from Madrid, they have to go to Santiago in plane, and they will need accomodation in a hotel.
- ↑ Travel from home of speakers (from Galicia) to Santiago de Compostela and back, and meals.
- ↑ Cakes for 15 persons each, total 45 persons, and disposal utensils.
Wikimedia España will try to celebrate the Galipedia 10th anniversary with a bunch of speakers, galician speakers and non-galician, talking about the project, free culture and free licenses. We want to publicize this project, a wikipedia in galician, one of the four encyclopedias in this language, and the only of free access. Our goal will be increase the number of editors in this project and this event is complementary with the events that the Galipedia's community is developing. 
The event will take place in Santiago de Compostela, the capital of Galicia, at first initially, at 9 March. We have contacted with University of Santiago de Compostela and CESGA for the venue of the event. The USC has confirmed that it allows us to use an events room in the CM Fonseca.
Project scope and list of activitiesEdit
We have have contacts with some speakers that have agreed in participate in this event, and we are seeking others. There is a coordination page at the wikipedia in galician, here (in galician). The main funding in this project is for this expense. We want to make a little gift to the speakers and to the volunteers that will work in this event, and we think that the shirts with that slogan is a good one. Other work is to contact some organism, like municipality of Santiago de Compostela or University of Santiago de Compostela, to ask for some place for make the event.
This is the list of the speakers that have confirmed his attendance:
- Jorge Sierra, president of Wikimedia España.
- David Gómez, lecturer and generator of didactic material in the UOC, wiki consultant and author of Debats de l’AAVC: Llicències lliures per al retorn social de la producció artística and several peer-reviewed papers.
- Manuel Gago Mariño, teacher, director of culturagalega.org, digital journalist and author of the blog Capítulo cero.
- Praza Pública, digital newspaper in Galician that uses free licences.
- CESGA, Supercomputing Center of Galicia, they actually works in a wiki project: WikiSkills.
- Javier de la Cueva, lawyer, he created and inspired the Procedimientos Libres, whose first procedure was the lawsuit against the canon over digital mediums, also he is assistant lecturer in the Máster of Intellectual Property of the EOI. Well-known person in free culture events.
- Asociación Cultura Libre, they promote the use of free licences.
- Urco editora, book publisher in Galician that uses free licences.
- A navalla suíza, Galician company devoted to the design of web projects that uses software with free licences.
We have asked Jim Wales if he could assist to the conferences, if his calendar is free at this dates.
Fit to strategyEdit
- We want that more people to contribute to Galician wikipedia and Commons, and other projects
- We want that more people know the Galician wikipedia and use it
- We want to make more visibility of the Spanish Chapter
We think that some press, radio and even TV media, could be interested in this project, making more visibility of Galician wikipedia and other projects from the Wikimedia Foundation.
Measures of successEdit
There are some measures that we can study:
- number of attendees. If lower than 30, we will regard that as a failure.
- media stories. If more than 2 positive stories, we will regard that as a success.
- photos and videos. If we fail to cover these event with photos and videos and upload them under a free license, we regard that as a failure. All the speakers need to have photo in Commons.
Team members (optional)Edit
- Jorge Sierra, president of Wikimedia España
- Elisardo Juncal, member of Wikimedia España
- Manuel Palomo Duarte, member of Wikimedia España Board
- David Gómez, member of Wikimedia España
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: