Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Acquiring scientific and specialized pictures
IMPORTANT: Please do not make changes to this page now. They will be reverted.
- This project has been funded, completed, and a project report has been reviewed and accepted by WMF Staff.
- To review a list of other funded submissions by fiscal year, please visit the Requests subpage, and to review the WMF Grants Program criteria for funding please visit the Grants:Index.
- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Česká republika
- Grant contact name
- Petr Novák
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
Jan LochmanMatěj Baťha
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- User:Jedudedek | email@example.com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Acquiring scientific and specialized pictures
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- July 1, 2009
- Provisional completion date
- June 1, 2010
Members of this project will contact holders of scientific and research-related pictures and try to persuade them to release their works under free licenses (such as CC-BY-SA 3.0). They will also negotiate visits of factories or other facilities that are inaccessible to general public in order to acquire quality images for Foundation projects. Also rich information layer will be added to file descriptions in Czech and English language. We will also try to obtain non-photographic media (such as videos and audio recordings) when possible/appropriate.
Project's budget will cover administrative costs (such as postage), translation of specialized image descriptions and transportation costs for facility visits.
The goal of this project is to supply Wikimedia Commons with scientific, research and industry-related media that it's currently missing. This media content will increase quality of all free knowledge projects that benefit from Commons.
There are no non-finalcial requirement associated with this project.
Fit to strategyEdit
The project will provide missing quality images and/or other files from area which aren't currently very well covered by volunteer work. This will increase the quality of all language editions of Wikipedia, Wikiversity and other WMF projects.
As a side effect, this project will also help copyright holders (scientists, labs etc.), to find a way to release their pictures under free licences and spread knowledge about these licences in the scientific community.
Measures of successEdit
We will consider this project successful if 30 scientific/research pictures (with rich information layer) will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and 4 plants (i.e. thematic categories) pictures will be documented (by approximately 200 high quality pictures in total).