Grants:PEG/WM AT/WikiCon 2012
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
german-speaking Wikipedians in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- Grant contact name
- Grant contact username or email
User:80686 - email@example.com
- Grant contact title (position)
volunteer project leader
- Project lead name
- Project lead username or email
User:80686 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project lead title (position), if any
volunteer project leader
- Full project name
WikiCon 2012 - Wissen fängt mit "W" an!
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
|Accommodation Hotel Dorfpark||38||2x2x 43 €||6.536 €|
|Accommodation Business Hotel 24*7||35||2x 96 €||6.720 €|
|Accommodation Sport Hall
||100||2x 4 €||800 €|
|Security Service Sports Hall
||24||21 €||504 €|
|Public Transport Tickets Fri - Sun||200||550 €|
|Marketing Material: Flag Standard für Ausleger mit 5 cm Saum
||3||190 €||570 €|
|Marketing Material: Flag aluminium (roadside)
||1||495 €||495 €|
|Marketing Material: Banner for the Foyer
||4||68 €||272 €|
|Presents for Helpers / VIPs
people helping which do not get paid or do not receive any other compensation
|20||25 €||500 €|
|Accommodation Organising Team Wed - Sun (4 Nights)
||4||4x 390 €||1.560 €|
|Accommodation Speakers / Volunteers Fri - Sun (2 Nights)||64||2x 64 €||8.192 €|
|Total Expenses: (rounded)||40.000 €|
|Participation Fees||200||10 €||2.000 €|
|Accommodation Fee||100||2x 50 €||10.000 €|
|Defizit: (gerundet)||28.000 €|
|Sponsoring Wikimedia Österreich||1||5.000 €||5.000 €||5.000 €|
|Sponsoring Wikimedia Deutschland||1||10.000 €||10.000 €||expected|
|Sponsoring Wikimedia CH||1||5.000 €||5.000 €||5.000 €|
|Wikimedia Grant||1||10.000 €||10.000 €||expected|
|local Sponsoring||1||5.000 €||5.000 €||expected|
|Contingency: (rounded)||7.000 €|
WikiCon 2012 is the third revision of a german-speaking Wikimedia conference, organised by the community for the community. After Lüneburg, northern Germany in 2010 and Nürnberg, middle-east Germany in 2011 the event moves to Dornbirn, Austria.
Dornbirn is located at the border of Austria to Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The plan is to be better able to include german-speaking Wikimedians from these countries than it has been while the event was in Germany where only one or two participants from Switzerland and Austria attended.
The event starts on Friday afternoon and ends on Sunday afternoon, allowing participants to attend without having to take vacation or only take one day of vacation. During the roughly two days they will have talks, presentations, workshops and panel discussions. A Call for Papers has been published on March 16th to invite the community to come up with their ideas.
The event will take place at the University of applied sciences of Vorarlberg (Fachhochschule Vorarlberg - FHV). The FHV is supporting the event and acts as a partner organisation to Wikimedia Österreich as they have several people on the organisation team supporting us with manpower. We can use all rooms on the FHV campus for free, there is free wifi all over the place which normally accommodates thousands of students and we have access to several studio rooms including all equipment in amounts to accommodate a whole class - such as a photo studio with DSLR cameras and special lighting, AV studio, sound studio with speaker cabin, PC and Mac rooms etc. Additionally we may use their staff for video coverage, IT support, janitor service. During the organisation phase people from the marketing team are supporting us in getting quotes from local companies, obtaining special rates from hotels and the public transport company and help us with media relations.
It is important to us to keep the barriers for participation low, so we have taken care for several benefits for our participants:
- there is free accommodation in a sports hall, for those breakfast will be included in the catering at the FHV
- hotel rooms have been booked at a special rate
- all participants will in advance receive a ticket for the public transport which they just need to print and bring with them, it is valid from Friday to Sunday in the whole state of Vorarlberg including the border stations in the adjacent countries, that way participants only need to book transportation to these stations within their countries and continue their travel for free
- we are currently working on getting free entry to several cultural offerings such as museums, the cable car to the nearby mountain and the inatura nature and technology park
- the participation fee is as low as 5 EUR per day or 10 EUR for the whole weekend and more of symbolical value than actually covering our costs
- all adjacent chapters - Wikimedia Österreich, Wikimedia Deutschland and Wikimedia CH offer travel scholarships
The conference will include more people than only Wikimedians. Therefore we have planned a set of actions:
- 2012 is the European Year of Active Aging. We will have special talks covering that topic by local organisations and by partners of the TAO (Third Age Online) project where also Wikimedia CH and Wikimedia Deutschland are involved.
- There are several professors (Heidi Weber, Falko Willms, Roland Alton) at FHV which engage in Wikimedia, especially Wikiversity. They have contacts to several other graduates which have an addiction to Wikimedia such as Peter Haber, Jan Eissfeldt. There is a special track planned to accommodate these. Jan Eissfeldt is working on further contacts to wiwiwiki, the Open Knowledge Foundation and the Textus Project.
- our most important aim is to be open for the public - we want people from the area which are no Wikimedians to come by and get in touch with us
- Therefore we have planned a lot of media outreach which is what FHV can support us perfectly.
- We have budgeted several marketing materials such as flags and banners which can be put outside the FHV in very prominent places a week prior the event to make everyone in the city aware of the event.
- We offer the opportunity to buy a "day ticket" for 5 EURs on-site. It includes also the catering for those who just walk by and want to have a look. The Friday is free and open for everyone.
- Students of FHV have free access to the event.
- it is also planned to offer an excursion for those who want to have a look outside. The planning is currently done by the program team. As all participants will have their free public transport tickets and we hopefully get free entry to interesting places the excursion could be organised easily without further costs
The conference itself is completely planned and implemented by volunteers of three countries - with the support of FHV staff on certain matters and the supply of information and sponsoring by the Wikimedia chapters. The organising team was established after meetings and talks at several Wikimedia meetups and volunteers subscribed to help on german Wikipedia. The whole planning process is done on the public members wiki of Wikimedia Österreich:
The conference program is created by the community. A call for papers has been published on March 16th:
since then we are collecting suggestions and submissions for the program
|2011-11-13||WikiCon 2012 announced, Wikipedia page created, poll about date started, started looking for partners|
|2011-12-16||Fachhochschule Vorarlberg contacted us offering their support|
|2012-01-16||date has been fixed - August 31st - September 2nd, figures and material of WikiCon 2011 has been received, inquiries to hotels sent|
|2012-02-11||meeting on site with the organisation team and FHV team, walking the venue, discussing possibilities - images: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:WikiCon_2012_Veranstaltungsort|
|2012-02-16||hotels for participants reserved (73 rooms)|
|2012-03-08||hotels for organising team and speakers reserved (34 rooms next to FHV)|
|2012-03-09||sports hall and security booked, babycare fixed|
|2012-03-16||Call for Papers started: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiCon_2012/Programm|
|2012-03-23||catering fixed, VVV (public transport tickets) fixed|
|2012-04-09||second info e-mail to community sent: http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2012-April/023252.html|
|2012-04-12||public announcement that Andrea Kaufmann, member of the government of Vorarlberg, is endorsing WikiCon, she will hold the opening speech|
|2012-04-16||the municipality of Dornbirn announced that they will offer free guided city tours (on two different topics) for WikiCon participants|
|2012-04-18||registration starts - using the CiviCRM system of Wikimedia Österreich: http://www.wikimedia.at/civicrm/event/info?id=1&reset=1, first press release: http://mitglieder.wikimedia.at/Projekte/WikiCon_2012/Pressemeldungen|
|2012-05-08||sponsoring fixed (local financial sponsors & free entry for activities)|
|2012-06-30||Call for Papers ends, program team selects submissions and creates the schedule|
|2012-07-29||normal registration ends, we fix the hotel rooms, further registration for sports hall still possible, program ready|
|2012-08-22||marketing material ready, flags will be mounted, press release|
|2012-08-29||t-shirts and lanyards ready, organisation team arriving at Dornbirn|
|2012-08-30||last arrangements with FHV - programming infoscreens to show WikiCon schedule, activating free Wifi|
|2012-08-31||WikiCon 2012 starts|
|2012-09-02||WikiCon 2012 ends, shutdown, organisation team returns home|
There will be no further requirement from Wikimedia Foundation, except the Wikimedia Foundation press team is interested in covering the event with a press release.
Fit to strategyEdit
- participation: by bringing together Wikimedians and non-Wikimedians, by inviting the public to learn more about Wikimedia, by motivating people to engage further by low barriers to participate in the event and get deeper involved in the community
- quality: by enhancing the experience of the participants, by giving them input from keynote speakers, presentations and workshops, learning new skills in hands-on workshops (such as photography, video recording, graphical editing...)
- outreach: reaching out to the public and media due to our press releases around the event, making use of the PR relations of FHV and the chapters, by including the academic scene and giving them their own track on the conference program, by inviting elderly and offering a special program for them
Due to the high attention of media and the participation of educational institutions and politians Wikimedia Österreich will be able to make new partnerships for future projects.
Also we broaden the horizon of the german Wikipedia community by bringing them to a conference outside Germany without having a language barrier as international conferences normally have. Due to this barrier the consistency of the community on german conferences and on international conferences usually differes greatly.
Measures of successEdit
- number of participants (planned: around 200)
- number of workshops and talks (planned: two keynotes, two panels, 40 talks / presentations, ten workshops)
- press coverage
- number of participating politicians and other non-Wikimedian officials (planned: 20%)
- follow-up projects due to new contacts between Wikimedia organisations and external organisations
Team members (optional)Edit
- Project Leader: Manuel Schneider (DE)
- Registration Team: Gustavf (DE)
- Technics Team: Flominator (DE)
- Programm Team: Pakeha (CH)
- Volunteer Coordinator: Asurnipal (AT)
plus several more volunteers in the teams