- Legal name of chapter
- Asociación Civil Wikimedia Argentina
- Grant contact name
- Patricio Lorente
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- President of Wikimedia Argentina
- Project lead name
- Beatriz Busaniche
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- firstname.lastname@example.org MotherForker
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Head of audit commission
- Full project name
- Frankfurter Buchmesse
- Amount requested (in USD)
- u$s 4200.-
- Provisional target start date
- February 1st, 2010
- Provisional completion date
- October 12th, 2010
Budget breakdown edit
- ~100 books printed
- 100 * ARS 95 = ARS 9'500
- 2000 flyers
- 2000 * 2.40 = ARS 2'400
- ~10 Postrest
- 10 * ARS 120 = ARS 1'200
- 1000 DVDs
- 1000 * ARS 3.25 = ARS 3'250
- ARS 16'350 = USD 4'197 ~= USD 4'200
Project scope edit
Argentina is the Guest of Honor at the Frankfurt International Book Fair, probably the most important book fair in the world.
Wikimedia Argentina participates as a co-author of a book on Free Argentine Culture published both in Spanish and German, and that will be presented at the fair. The book, edited by friend organization the Fundación Via Libre, will help present the work of the local free-culture movement to the world and hopefully open a door to debate the copyright in Argentina, whose law, according to the 2010 Consumers International's report is the sixth less permissive on matters of access to knowledge and democratization of the culture.
There we will present material illustrating the possibilities for the diffusion and distribution of Wikimedia's material, including the possibility of creating your own printed book or electronic book (mediaWiki feature), and derivated works such as audio books.
The material we are preparing includes:
- flyers with instructions for the creation of books with mediaWiki's feature not only from content in different Wikimedia's projects but also from content in other (Wikileaks, wikia, Project Gutenberg, etc.).
- posters to attract people and give them some basic information on the possibilities
- books related to Argentina, printed with content from Wikipedia, Wikisource and others, that will serve as examples of what people could produce commercially (to sell) or for personal use (read in an eBook reader, print), in English, Spanish and German.
- CDs containing both electronic versions of printed books and audio books, from Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
We are also planning on having a computer with the electronic material for people to plug-in their USB memories or eBook readers to be able to take that material home after giving it a look.
Project goal edit
Our mains goals are:
- To present the model of edition, collaborative elaboration and dissemination of knowledge based on Wikipedia to the most important editorial industry fair in the world.
- To participate in the debates on copyrights that will take place at the fair.
- To promote the movement of free culture in Argentina, of which Wikimedia Argentina takes active part.
We want to present the editorial possibilities of the Wikimedia's projects, and the distribution of material in alternative formats (printed, ebooks, audio) both at commercial and personal level. It is also important to introduce Wikipedia and the Wikiemdia projects as possibilities for the editorial industry and not an enemy of it.
Another important aspect is the new mediaWiki feature to edit your own [e]book, to be able to have it printed or read it in your smartphone or e-reader, but also as an educational tool in nations of the Global South, where internet access is not widely available, and educational material is hard to come by.
We are working together with Wikimedia Deutscheland in the set-up of the stand as well as the volunteering to run it.
We will be also cooperating with the Argentine friend NGO Fundación Via Libre in the pursuit of realising government and otherwise intellectual patrimony into the Public Domain.
Non-financial requirements edit
Volunteer support from Wikimedia Germany
Beatriz Busaniche's participation at Frankfurt Book fair, already covered by the Vía Libre Foundation.
Fit to strategy edit
In spreading the word on the benefits of free content, and the distribution possibilities of material freely available in the internet for commercial, personal and educational purposes.
Other benefits edit
- Building relationships between Chapters
- Introducing Wikipedia as a possible ally and not an enemy of the editorial bussiness
- Promoting access to knowledge debates at the most important book fair in Europe.
Measures of success edit
- Number of visitors to the Wikimedia stand
- Reception of the promotional material
- Feedback from the German team
There are, of course, things that cannot be evaluated, such as the impact of the participation of Wikimedia Argentina in the dissemination of the free culture and access to knowledge.