Grants:PEG/UG TH/WLM 2014
< Grants:PEG(Redirected from Grants:PEG/User:Taweetham/Thailand Wikimedians User Group/WLM 2014)
Grant request detailsEdit
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- We are an WMF-recognised user group.
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- Official project name
Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Thailand
- Project start date
- 1st August 2014 (~ one month before photo submission period)
- Project completion date
- 1st April 2015 if there are any international activities after WLM-TH (In 2013, the international awards were finally distributed to the winners in late March 2014.)
- or 1st January 2015 if there are no international activities afterwards.
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- WLM-TH 2014 is part of global Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 initiative. We organised this activity for the first time in Thailand in 2013 with support from both the international coordinator team and local sponsors. A photo from Thailand has won an international prize in 2013 and we have secured a number of partners for WMTH. This project here does not only increase the number of Thai heritage images on commons but also reaches out to the Thai people and educate them on how various wiki projects work.
- Amount and currency requested
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
Goals and measures of successEdit
- To produce freely licensed images of heritage sites and monuments of Thailand
- To make Thai people aware of the Wikimedian community in Thailand and consider contributing to various Wikimedia projects.
- To secure partnership for WMTH and strengthen user group to be ready for a larger project.
Measures of successEdit
- We expect to receive at least 1,000 files uploads.
- We expect at least 10% of the uploads are quality images and will be used in various project over a period of time.
- We expect to have at least 10 volunteers (3 core volunteers) in the organising team.
- We expect to have contribution from at least 100 participants (mostly new Wikimedians).
- This would be the first activity under the name of WMF-recognised user group Wikimedians in Thailand.
- We expect to have at least 3 local partners (2 old and 1 new).
- We expect to get coverage in the national media outlet and have our advertising materials sent to schools and universities.
- Tracking tools
Project scope and activitiesEdit
- We follow the standard WLM schedule.
- Securing partners and funding (now-July 2014)
- Advertising the project (August 2014-September 2014)
- Accepting photo (September 2014)
- National judging (October 2014)
- International team liaising (now-March 2015)
- Links to external pages
- More details of 2014 competition could be found on commons:Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Thailand/th
- List of volunteers: commons:Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Thailand/People
- Discussion page: w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:ศาลาชุมชน/อภิปราย/Wiki_loves_monuments_2014_in_Thailand
- WMTH mailing list
- In 2013, we received 1,773 images from 181 participants (both from local and international). We submitted 10 images to the international team and won an international prize. We were able to deliver the project outcome on time even with rather limited and delayed funding.
- List of volunteers: commons:Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 in Thailand/People.
- Discussion page: w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:ศาลาชุมชน/อภิปราย/Wiki_loves_monuments_2013_in_Thailand
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||Cash prize for the 1st-10th winners, trophies and certificate
Trophies and certificates=1,000THB
|2||Promotion||Web hosting, domain name, online advertisment and other associated costs||3,000||THB|
|3||Promotion||Promotional materials (e.g. flyers and posters), postage and other cost associated with physical mailing of promotional meterials||6,000||THB|
|4||Contingency||Incidental costs (Custom duty+other charges on WP merchandise send by WMF, travels, phone calls, souvenirs/trophies for local corporate partners, exhibition of photos at the conclusion of the program, etc.)||6,000||THB|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We are expected to get non-financial assistance from local partners.
- We expect a local partner to do PR in the newspaper. (Last year, we had an article published in the BangkokPost.)
- We expect a local partner to do PR on their website. (Last year, we secured a PR spot on Pantip.com - a website with similar raking to Thai Wikipedia in Thailand.)
- Volunteers are expected to distribute the news of the competition via their social networks - words of mouth approach.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We would like to request some WP merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs from WMF.
- Before September, we mail small souvenirs like pins and sticker with our promotional materials.
- We mail bigger items like t-shirt, mug, WLM notebook /calendar to juries, 11th-20th runner up, local partners and volunteers at the conclusion of WLM.
- The total items mailed out last year was about 200 parcels.
Resources and RisksEdit
- We have organised the activity before in 2013 at a smaller scale and with the WMF grant we expect to be able to make it more professional and generate greater impact this year. (Please see the "Project scope and activities" section.)
- We do not foresee any significant potential risks.
- We have a healthy number of volunteers and had participated in the event before.
- We have learnt to be self-sufficient and will not solely rely for the support from the international team or any organisations.
- We are assured that this WMF funding proposal will be considered within a month and it takes ~3 weeks to disburse the fund.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach
- This project will promote interactions between Wikimedian community and the general public. More people will understand that contributing to Wikipedia and its sister projects is free and simple.
- We expect more participants in terms of increased users as well as in terms of number of photos contributed.
- organizational maturity and effectiveness
- This is our first activity as a WMF-recognised user group. We expect to see our organisation to grow into a chapter enventually if we can continue to host national events of high impact.
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- The event aims at three things: increasing awareness of free license and intellectual rights, promotion of Commons and Wikipedia, availability of images on Commons (increase in media content of Commons)
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project will help both Wikimedia Commons and the Wikimedians in Thailand User Group.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- Yes, the project fits in many work areas like education (through understanding of local culture and historical sites), GLAM (being focused around cultural institutions), outreach etc. We hope to see many institutions reaching to us with the growth of the community.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The Wiki Loves Monuments event has been globally successful and has been replicated and successfully organised in many countries
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- Wiki Loves Monuments will help the Wikimedia movement grow in Thailand. The positive press coverage generated by the launch event should increase the presence of free knowledge groups in our country. It will help increase the number of readers and dedicated volunteers.